My Cat Is Getting Worse

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 With respect, this isn't true. Feline viruses mutate just like human viruses. Feline vaccines fail just like human vaccines.
I agree, viruses mutate, but what I was trying to say was that if this was the form of the virus in the vaccine, they would be immune, so it isn't the form they were vaccinated for.  Calici virus is one of the worst offenders, it has more forms than can ever be in a vaccine, they just keep trying to immunize against  the most deadly ones.  I don't consider that vaccine failure, just virus superiority.  And then there's the corona virus that mutates to FIP............ugh.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@WorriedSoMuch, I think you need to take a few very deep breaths and make yourself a strong cup of Tension Tamer tea and sit in a steamy bathroom with your sick girls while they get their breathing therapy.  Do you remember breathing through your mouth when you had a stuffed up nose?  Cats do the same thing.  It's okay.  If you stay out of the future and deal with the NOW, it will be much better for your nerves, and that in turn will be better for the cats.  They can feel your anxiety and it will make them tense and anxious too.  So far they are still breathing well albeit through their mouths, and they are hanging in there through this unpleasant upper respiratory infection, so looking at today, everything is okay.  Worry is just thinking negatively about the future.  Let go of that if you can, stay in the now, wipe the noses, pet the heads, comfort them, and healing will come through you to them, and you will all feel better.  Deal with today today, and deal with tomorrow tomorrow.  That's all we can really do.

fairycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I agree, viruses mutate, but what I was trying to say was that if this was the form of the virus in the vaccine, they would be immune, so it isn't the form they were vaccinated for.  Calici virus is one of the worst offenders, it has more forms than can ever be in a vaccine, they just keep trying to immunize against  the most deadly ones.  I don't consider that vaccine failure, just virus superiority.  And then there's the corona virus that mutates to FIP............ugh.
Oh, you mean like different strains when it mutates. I wonder how often they reformulate it? Is it similar to the flu vaccine that gets reformulated for new strains every year? I've never heard about that. All I know is after one of my girls had a vaccine reaction, I ended up finding Dr. Ronald Schultz who studies animal vaccines. He has data that says vaccine effects last years, even the life of the pet. I really hope his Rabies Challenge Fund causes meaningful change very soon.

@WorriedSoMuch I hope you took Red Top Rescue's advice. I am a lot like you when my cats are sick though, so I understand. Also, Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis can cause corneal ulcers. I also wondered, if she had been throwing up, if it could have strained her eyes and maybe she popped a vessel like we do sometimes? Hope you and all the cats were able to get some rest.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@WorriedSoMuch
, I think you need to take a few very deep breaths and make yourself a strong cup of Tension Tamer tea and sit in a steamy bathroom with your sick girls while they get their breathing therapy.  Do you remember breathing through your mouth when you had a stuffed up nose?  Cats do the same thing.  It's okay.  If you stay out of the future and deal with the NOW, it will be much better for your nerves, and that in turn will be better for the cats.  They can feel your anxiety and it will make them tense and anxious too.  So far they are still breathing well albeit through their mouths, and they are hanging in there through this unpleasant upper respiratory infection, so looking at today, everything is okay.  Worry is just thinking negatively about the future.  Let go of that if you can, stay in the now, wipe the noses, pet the heads, comfort them, and healing will come through you to them, and you will all feel better.  Deal with today today, and deal with tomorrow tomorrow.  That's all we can really do.
I'm trying. Believe me [emoji]128549[/emoji] I was reading some posts here about FIP and I saw you have a lot of knowledge. Does this sound at all like uveitis? Her eye is totally clear but just under her pupil is a small reddish brown dot. I thought it looked slightly bigger today but I don't know. I spoke to my vet and he said he doubted it, that FIP wouldn't make sense with all the cats being sick. He said that she might have even poked her eye when rubbing her nose and the mark will heal and go away. I found an old picture on my phone and she didn't seem to have it before, at least not that I can tell. Thank you for all the help [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]

@WorriedSoMuch
I hope you took Red Top Rescue's advice. I am a lot like you when my cats are sick though, so I understand. Also, Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis can cause corneal ulcers. I also wondered, if she had been throwing up, if it could have strained her eyes and maybe she popped a vessel like we do sometimes? Hope you and all the cats were able to get some rest.
:rub:  
Thank you. I didn't sleep well honestly. She looked pretty unwell last night. I checked her a lot. She actually seems better today though. She's more mobile and she's still eating. Delilah is hanging in there. There's a lot of sneezing happening still but hopefully they will be better. I don't think it's an ulcer. I looked at pictures and it doesn't look similar. I'm not sure on the uveitis because pictures vary on that too. Her eye is clear but just that strange freckle. My vet thinks it's nothing. I'm trying to focus on the positive but I'm still nervous [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to gross you out, but true uveitis is pretty blatant, so what she has isn't that.  She may have a corneal ulcer, not impossible with upper respiratory disease.  The vet can tell you that by staining her eye.  I had a corneal ulcer once and it's uncomfortable and messes up your vision but it isn't fatal.  And if your cat is eating, it is very likely NOT FIP, because once that starts in earnest, they no longer eat.  They will close their jaw as tight as an alligator and not let you force feed them either.  This is what uveitis looks like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to take the time to thank all of you for helping me with my cats. They have all recovered, thank God. There's no more sneezing or coughing. Lexi still has that spot in her eye, however. Again I'm not sure if it's something she always had or she obtained it while sick. I've been in contact with the vet and I do need to take her back to have it checked. The fear of FIP had finally left me when I hit a setback. It seems Adele has lost an entire pound! When I took her to the vet, she was 13 pounds. I weighed her again periodically as she was healing to ensure she didn't lose any. She maintained the same weight, give or take a few ounces. Today though, by chance, I decided to weigh Adele again and she is now 12 pounds. I checked and rechecked and she's definitely 12. This seems so rapid that I'm in shock. She's eating well and she's active. She's not drinking or using the box any more than usual. The only slight change is that she's not eating much dry food anymore. My cats don't eat much as it is but she won't really eat it at all. I'm stumped. I called the vet and he wasn't overly concerned given she's only 4 but this seems extreme. A pound in a month? He told me to monitor the situation for now and weigh her again in a week to see where she is and then we'll talk. I've had my cats' weight fluctuate before but not like this. Any ideas?

Last edited: