My cat is getting heavy

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted byAuntie CrazyOtto - Wow, lots of great suggestions, and you have a hysterical way of describing your cats' antics. Thanks for sharing! (I laughed out loud at Tolly and his Newspaper Tents. *still chuckling*).
Not to hijack Regina's thread, but do you have any suggestions for multiple participation games?
I started a new thread to answer this here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...20#post2759020

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You feed how you think is best the rest of us will do what works for us
Good point Sharky.

People need to remember than not ONE person on here is RIGHT. Everything is opinion and personal experience. Noone here has the answers for every single nutrition problem.

The best anyone can do is research, and make an educated opinion based on fact, research and what works for their cat.

Everyone has differing opinions, and noone is above the other when expressing their opinions without fact to back them up. Noone should do something because "I said so", without researching it on their own to find what works for both pet and owner alike

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

... and noone is above the other when expressing their opinions without fact to back them up. Noone should do something because "I said so", without researching it on their own to find what works for both pet and owner alike
Words to live by. Research is important. Also, TCS has an article here that mentions Dr. Andrea Tosi and Anne Jablonski, both of whom are volunteer members of FNES (well, actually everyone is a volunteer at FNES!).

If I have any mottos in my life, they are "There is ALWAYS a way." and "Knowledge is power." Cliches, yes, but they can serve one very well.

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recall earlier seeing that mixing kibble with wet is bad. It is if you let it sit out for more than 20 minutes. When I was transitioning my kitty I was forced to mix dry with wet to get him used to transitions of textures. I never let the mixed food sit out for more than 15-20 minutes. The bacteria growth is negligible in a few minutes, but make SURE that it is in a not too humid environment and that you will pick it up promptly. Normally I never had any trouble as my cat gobbled it up straight away. It all depends. Mixing is a definite NO NO NO if you leave it out and don't wash the bowls every day.

Again, I only mixed because I had to and it was the quickest way to transition him to eating wet seperately from dry. I still free-feed him a certain amount of dry, but now I'm able to get him to eat wet twice a day in a separate bowl.

Some are saying raw...I supplement my cat's diet with a TINY amount of raw food every other day, or sometimes a chicken neck in substitution of one meal of wet. However, this is a diet that is about 15% raw on certain days of the week. I would not give any raw unless you are sure with what you're doing and have gotten opinions from multiple vets. Despite what some people say, us vet students at most institutions do have a non-corporate influenced companion animal nutrition class. I would get a few opinions from certain vets before putting ANY raw into your cat's diet, especially since you're transitioning. Reading all over books, SCIENTIFIC ARTICLES by EXPERTS with some sort of DEGREE [A D.V.M. part of their credintials, or a degree in Nutrition, or animal nutrition and/or animal science.]. Also, make sure you have more than one opinion with plenty of tests behind them.

As far as exercise, I found many cats enjoy "peek-a-boo." I run to a place where my cat Milo can't see me, but he knows where I've gone, like around a corner. He will stalk and chase me, especially if I have something like a string or cat wand.

I also found that the cheaper the toy, the more entertained a cat is. My cat will practically crawl up my leg for a crumpled piece of paper. Naturally because I live in a college area, there are many a beer box to be found. My neighbors drink frequently, and leave their boxes out by their front door before taking them to the recycling bin. I steal one and Milo has a blast jumping in and out of them, especially if I place one of his bell-balls in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, sooo... I talked to all three places (Petco. PSP and Petsmart). All of them said they can not order me the weight management EVO
. Really kind of stinks because I have been really trying since I posted this a few weeks ago to give her wet food. She still will not eat it. I really am thinking of trying maybe an indoor formula (like wellness) since it is less calories. The only problem is that she has been on EVO for a year now and I dont want grains to give her an upset tummy.
What do you think?
Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

Ok, sooo... I talked to all three places (Petco. PSP and Petsmart). All of them said they can not order me the weight management EVO
. Really kind of stinks because I have been really trying since I posted this a few weeks ago to give her wet food. She still will not eat it. I really am thinking of trying maybe an indoor formula (like wellness) since it is less calories. The only problem is that she has been on EVO for a year now and I dont want grains to give her an upset tummy.
What do you think?
Thanks!
the indoor grain containing wellness may have fewer calories but check out the protein and fat vs the carbs .. IMHO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy!! I found someone that will order me the Evo Weight Management dry
. Thanks Pet Supplies Plus!!