My cat is dying :(

dc2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, we have one cat at home who recently turned a grand old 8. He has always been a healthy, vocal cat until a couple of days ago when I saw him sitting in the kitchen awkwardly. I went up to him and re-positioned him and he went back to sitting awkwardly, he wasn't meowing or responding. I told my mum she said he had been doing that for two days, I just wasn't at home to notice it. She took him to the vet and he stayed overnight for tests. He was mildly dehydrated from not drinking, and had lost weight. He returned today and apparently his liver enzymes are elevated although they need an ultrasound to confirm. Apparently it is $600 to do the scan my mum says she doesn't have the money to do it and I don't either, which means if he doesn't get better he will have to be put down :( I just can't believe how quickly this has happened, and wish I could help him. He just sleeps in this room and doesn't respond, just a dull purr- certainly not the vibrant purr-holic I used to know. I hope he gets better but it looks like this won't be happening, I guess I just need to face the facts he is going to have to be euthanized. I just thought I'd share my story, it just feels like he is so young, I know 8 is the transition to geriatric age for cats but it's just so sudden.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Liver enzymes can become elevated for several reasons. 

Age 8 is young for a cat these days, usually the incurable liver diseases happen when they are a lot older. .

If your cat is going outside,  you also need to discuss with the vet (any vet) the possibility of something he could have come in contact with that would affect the liver.

Gall bladder disease, IBD, and some other conditions can also be related to elevated liver enzymes and are highly treatable with the right approach. (Medications and diet change, etc.) 

Age 8 is far too young for giving up on a kitty.  However, the price you were quoted for an ultrasound is awfully, unreasonably high.  I urge you to contact other vets and find one that will do the test for a whole lot less, meaning a reasonable amount. 

Blood values in a complete chemistry profile and a simple X-ray can be very helpful and may help delay the need for an ultrasound. 

I'm trying to say, please don't give up on your kitty, give him the help he needs to get better.. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dc2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's night now I don't know what to do? I can contact some of the 24 hour vets and see if I can get him some treatment. Im worried because he won't eat or drink :(

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try that, see what they could do for him until the regular vets open in the morning.  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's night now I don't know what to do? I can contact some of the 24 hour vets and see if I can get him some treatment. Im worried because he won't eat or drink
If he's going to survive and won't eat or drink on his own, you've got to force feed him by watering down some canned food and very slowly putting it into the side of his mouth with a needleless syringe.  And when I say slowly, I mean it, because you don't want him to aspirate it.  Are his gums or the inside of his ears turning yellow?  If so, that's a sign of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease), which is brought on when cats don't eat, and since it effects their liver, could explain the elevated liver enzymes.

little lucifer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go on Reddit's /r/cats and beg for money. Explain your situation and make an indiegogo or kickstarter account to link to everyone. Provide LOTS of pictures. Upload them to imgur.com.

It's worth a shot. I've seen people who raised enough money to pay for their cat's surgeries and whatnot.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's going to survive and won't eat or drink on his own, you've got to force feed him by watering down some canned food and very slowly putting it into the side of his mouth with a needleless syringe.  And when I say slowly, I mean it, because you don't want him to aspirate it.  Are his gums or the inside of his ears turning yellow?  If so, that's a sign of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease), which is brought on when cats don't eat, and since it effects their liver, could explain the elevated liver enzymes.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
I agree that you should pick up a feeding syringe from the pet store and get some Hill's A/D from the vet to syringe feed your cat. Here is a good How-To video http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating Is the cat overweight as well? Because then the Hepatic Lipidosis is a sure thing if he doesn't eat.

It is very, very expensive when they get sick, I do know. Sometimes blood tests are just the beginning of a variety of tests needed to get a diagnosis, unfortunately. There is CareCredit and most vets offer this. Most importantly, your cat needs to eat..... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
$600 is very high for an ultrasound unless the cat needs to be sedated or complicated interpretations of results are needed.  I agree strongly with Violet.  Please try to save this kitty.  Forced feeding is not necessary for one evening not eating.  A little water spritzed into the cat's mouth should do it for hydration.  Wait until morning and call as many vets as possible.  Explain your problem and beg for a lower fee if necessary.  I fear that most will not commit to a number without seeing the cat.  If it were my cat, I would take the exam results from my vet and run them around to other vets to see what their charges would be or even if ultrasound is necessary.  Heart and soul kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dc2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help :)
I am glad to say that my kitty recovered upon taking him back to vet and the next day he came good, purring meowing and most importantly started eating and drinking. In the end he was just a very ill cat which is fortunate!