My Cat Is Due Any Day!

AmberLynn626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat dutchess had her first heat in October 22-october 26, so she should be due any day! She has lost what I believe is her mucus plug, it was a tiny hard little thing that came out of her. And tonight she has some greenish discharge. Her temp was 99 degrees. She has no other signs of labor. Could she still have her kittens tonight? Or at any point over the next few days with little signs of labor?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat?

Yes, she is close to delivery. Do you have basic kitten supplies assembled? Kitten milk replacer, needleless syringes, and a small scale? A nest set up? There is no need to continue taking her temperature.

Can you keep her inside and away from intact males until the kittens have weaned? Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmberLynn626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 9 months old (slightly young I know). But she is healthy. The male has been neutered since she concieved, and she will be spayed after her babies are in their new homes. We have her nest set up, and some basic supplies! I hope she doesn't have them over night when I am asleep, I should probably try to keep her in my room for the next few nights until she has delivered

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmberLynn626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth today! She had one lone kitten. Her water broke around 330 this morning, and it seemed like the kitten was having an difficult time coming out. Finally at 230pm the kitten came. I thought I at least felt two in there. But now I can't feel anything in her tummy. She is still bloated. She is exausted and sleeping. Could there be another in there even if I can't feel it?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose there could. The standard advice is, if momma is OK, no visible troubles, you just wait and see. Either she is done, or even if you KNOW there are more. Because pauses arent uncommon. Of course, continue to observe closely, the situation may easily become touchy very quickly.

However, you write exhausted and sleeping... OK, the delivery was tough... Which hopefully explains the exhaustation. And if so, she pauses BECAUSE she is exhausted. And hopefully continues after some rest. Cats can in some degree delay their delivery.
Still, it may hint some problems, they are usually not that exhausted after ONE delivery, so the situation is apparently somewhat touchy. Do you have access to a good vet, to take advices and help if necessary?

During the time, you can blend in some glucose sugar or honey in her drinking water.
Or smear water sweetened with much honey on her lips and gum, if she is sleepiing and cant drink
My cat gave birth today! She had one lone kitten. Her water broke around 330 this morning, and it seemed like the kitten was having an difficult time coming out. Finally at 230pm the kitten came. I thought I at least felt two in there. But now I can't feel anything in her tummy. She is still bloated. She is exausted and sleeping. Could there be another in there even if I can't feel it?
. It gives quick energy.

Also be sure she gets calcium rich food ASAP. Goats milk is good, kmr, or plain full fat youghurt. Lack of calcium may give weak labor work.