My Cat Is Driving Me Insane.

Paigem54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has suffered from UTIs for about a year and a half. He has gotten the PU surgery 6 months or so ago. But they wont STOP. Im getting really sick and tired of taking him to the vet and throwing them $80 every 3 months. I already know it isnt his diet because he never has crystals. I am CONVINCED that it s because he won t stop licking his area and he licks it so much that it becomes inflamed. This is also what the vet thinks but they never give me any advice on how to get him to stop. He is going through it again right now and I have his cone on, again. Usually ill keep his cone on for 48 hours and the symptoms stop but then a couple weeks later we re back to this again. I don t know what to do. I don t want to surrender him to a shelter or anything of that nature but I can t afford to do this for much longer. What the hell can I do?!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paigem54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he eating a lot of dry food?
He's in a dry and we're food diet. I know it isn't his diet because he never has crystals. They always just tell me when he goes the vet that it's bacterial and the area is inflamed probably from him licking.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, i know it can be frustrating but the bacterial infection comes from somewhere. In my opinion the licking is a symptom, not the cause of the infection. He licks because he is hurting. It may be that you want to try a different vet?

If he continually has these infections i would say

A. they did not give the correct antibiotics, or for long enough to clear it up in the first place.?

B. Dirty, or dusty or fragrant cat litter can cause the problem. Try one of the grass litters, or as dust free fragrance free litter as you can find. I think Fresh step has a few fragrance free litters.

C. Not enough liquid in the diet. He may need more water. Wet food is the best, but at least make sure there is a fresh bowl of clean water available at all times. Water flushes the urinary tract, not only of crystals, but bacteria and other material as well. Hydration is very important, i would suggest an all wet diet for your guy.?

Hope you can figure this out soon. best of luck, and if you cant seem to get results with your current vet, a second opinion is never a bad idea!

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can get more help asking this in the cat health forum. They are more likely to have the experience to be able to help you. :vibes::hangin: