My cat is driving me insane!

apyles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat that is driving me insane. He has torn a huge hole in my carpet to my bedroom door and is starting a hole to the other bedrooms door. He scratches at the carpet to get either me or my roommates attention to feed him. I feed him some in the morning and some in the late afternoon. By anywhere from 2-6 in the morning, he starts taring up the carpet to be fed. I don't know how to stop this behavior. I have a water bottle that he knows what its used for because as soon as he sees me grab it he runs. But a few minutes later he is back scratching the carpet. I have tried the citrus spray and it doesn't bother him, I have tried 2 sided tape, doesn't bother him, tried putting thick plastic down, doesn't bother him. I don't know what else to do. Yeah sure, I could just ignore him and maybe he will get the message that this behavior isn't going to get him what he wants but I doubt that will work. He will just keep making holes in my carpet. He has scratching post and what not but they don't seem to help. I am at my wits end with this little guy. I would never give him up but I am to the point of putting him in a cage at night. But then he will just meow and cry an tear up the cage. ::sigh:: someone please tell me what I can do. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try feeding him before you go to bed or leave a small amount of food out for him to snack on. A later afternoon meal isn't going to keep your cat's tummy full until the next morning. Some people like to feed a few small meals to their cat daily to keep the tummy full. A programmable timed feeder works well for both dry and canned food.

Also play with your cat before bedtime to get him sleepy and hopefully he'll sleep during the night instead of scratching the carpet.