my cat is driving me crazy with his depressed attitude...cheer up little dude!!!

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats driving me crazy and seems so sad...he's 10 mths old and i've only had him 3 weeks..he was neutered just over a week ago.

he was spraying urine everywhere as toms do..but since he was neutered he has stopped doing this which is a fantastic result.

But he still is going crazy to get outside...scratching all my wall paper off round the windows...all my paint work off the doors...crying like a female in heat desperatly trying to get outside.

he no longer really like us stroking him ...and deffinatly will not be picked up..its like his sole purpose he getting out the first open door..i distract him best i can with so many toys and activities..but he soon remembers..he wants out.

he does have quiet times(when he's asleep that is) i only wish he slept more..as he keeps me awake most nights..its like having a baby..or worse really.

if i had had him from a little kitten..i would have let him out by now as where i live is great for cats...but as i'm his 3rd home..and he's only been with us 3 weeks and neutered 1..i still think its just too soon....he was getting on my knee and letting me stroke him and purring...now he's un-interested in me...

i took him out on a lead into my garden today..he was nervous but we walked round the whole garden..then he heard a loud noise and shot back into the house...dragging me along with him ...

should i let him out....will he find his way back to me....how do cats find thier way home again anyway???someone help...my cats driving me crazy 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing the right thing, taking him out on a lead. Loud noises etc will scare him at first, but he will get used to it, and a walk every day round the garden with you should help to calm down his behaviour in the house. Also. try a Feliway spray to calm him down - he has been through a lot, a new home, a vet visit etc and it is natural he should be a bit upset. Don't overload him with petting - sit near him, read alour, leave treats for him and let him adjust to everything at his own pace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks...great advice..

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he was always an indoor cat letting him out will confuse him and scare him like the person above me said. To answer your question on how they find their way home is that they have puples that will let them see a bigger picture of their seroundings and when they want to come back home they can recall more of the details of the serounding area and the noises but if they are accustomed to staying inside then it would make it harder on them to find their way back home but if they arre accustom to the outdoors then it would be easier

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow....didn't lnow that...i saw a tv programe that said they have a scent on the pads of thier feet that they track back to thier home..but think that both eyes and scent must be a great way for cats to find thier way.

he was an indoor/outdoor cat at his last home so he was use to coming and going....now i feel bad keeping him indoors when he clearly has enjoyed his freedom before.

but after only having him 3 weeks..i feel its too soon to let him out yet.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I would say till you feel comfertable walk him on a leash they have some for cats and that's what I'm going to do with my cat once we go to the petstore so she can get her energy out she is my baby so I want her to be happy and like I said till you feel he knows the area better walk him on a leash so you don't have to really worry about it

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about 'fencing in' a bit of your outdoor space? 

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i thourght a cat harness and leesh would be the best idea too...and if you start your cat off wearing one from a young kitten...they grow up use to one..but my cats 11 mths old and i've only had him 4 weeks..and he hates hates hates the harness...walks backwards in it..then just lays down and won't move...he looks daft in it too..like he's in a straight jacket or something...

i can't really fence apart of my yard off...its quite big..and even if i could...he would still get out of the part un-fenced..cats are great climbers..and they will always find a way...

think i'll just have to keep him in til i get my catflap and i know he feels this is his forever home...

thanks guys

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put a harness on her she would walk a few steps and the roll over I left it on her while we went and done a couple aranse came back and her collor was off but she was looking like she was comfy in the harness