My cat is dehydrated and there isnt a vet open on easter weekend

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never boiled the water. . .what's the reason for that? I've used oral rehydration solution many many times, and it is a real lifesaver. But I just put the salt and sugar in a bottle, add tap water, and shake it up until everything is dissolved. Never occurred to me to boil the water since I'm not in Africa :D.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boil it to sterilise it.  You are giving it to a tiny animal that's not well, for the few seconds it takes in the kettle...  The sugar & salt dissolve faster in warm water as well.

laura iancu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when it is said to give 5ml to 10 ml per pound of body weight. is this every hour, or how many times times a day. my kitten , 11 months  has diarrhea, but al so has FIV,Cancer, and FIP she is recovering from. vets out of the question, just answer to question, thank you : )

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

when it is said to give 5ml to 10 ml per pound of body weight. is this every hour, or how many times times a day. my kitten , 11 months  has diarrhea, but al so has FIV,Cancer, and FIP she is recovering from. vets out of the question, just answer to question, thank you : )
For water or a pedialyte type fluid, several times an hour is good, but I don't know where you are getting up to 10 ml per pound of body weight? 

for your little one.  Sounds like she has a whole lot of things going wrong

kaveman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recovering from FIP?  A few months from your post, but is she still ok?  I'm just curious, I've been told over and over FIP is not recoverable.  Whether it's correct or not is another discussion(regardless I refuse to accept it and fight it til the end-long story).