My Cat Is Becoming Increasingly Needy Since I Started Working...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try my best to play with my cats at night and give them attention. i think the reason my cat wakes me up is hunger. i used to feed her late to last through the night. but now i go to sleep early.

its starting to wear on me to have her wake me up at 4 am. i need my sleep now that im working. is there anyway to dull the sound from the door?

i cant free feed her, or leave extra food. shes a bit chubby and needs the weightloss.

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sleeping with earplugs in? I do this every night because of a noisy upstairs neighbor I used to have. My Sasha has a bell on her collar that I can't hear with the earplugs in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sleeping with earplugs in? I do this every night because of a noisy upstairs neighbor I used to have. My Sasha has a bell on her collar that I can't hear with the earplugs in.
I've thought of that, but i worry i will oversleep one day, as i have an alarm on just in case. :confused:

Here's a helpful video:
thanks!

the only thing is i do most of that. i dont get up when she cries, and she gives up and goes away. but she still does it. has always done it. the only thing that ever stopped the overnight meows was when i would leave extra food for her at night... which equated to her becoming a 15 lb cat. lol:paperbag:

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat woke me up at 4am once, I scruffed her and told her if she did it again I'd "take her life". I think I meant it at the time!
Don't reward the behaviour by feeding her when she does it. Use the same phrase. I use "too early" if she wakes me before 7am. Them I go back to sleep (as best I can).
Also check outside. I used to think my cat was waking me early, for a period but it turned out a junky neighbour was sneaking into our backyard and checking doors

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat woke me up at 4am once, I scruffed her and told her if she did it again I'd "take her life". I think I meant it at the time!
Don't reward the behaviour by feeding her when she does it. Use the same phrase. I use "too early" if she wakes me before 7am. Them I go back to sleep (as best I can).
Also check outside. I used to think my cat was waking me early, for a period but it turned out a junky neighbour was sneaking into our backyard and checking doors
:flail:
what a smart cat to warn you of an intruder.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay, its been two weeks. i have tried completely ignoring her when she does the meowing at the door. i used to yell at her to go away. i now fully ignore her.... and nothing has changed. if anything her meowing has intensified and it goes on and on endlessly. she'll stop for awhile then 30 minutes later come back.

i need my sleep. i love my cat, but it makes me resent her at times that she keeps doing this. i am not a happy person when i lack sleep.

does anyone know anyway to block the sound? i cant wear ear plugs, i need to be able to hear my alarm. and i tend to get ear infections very easily. if im not careful.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried an automatic feeder to give her a 3am snack or mini meal to get her through the night? If you are using portion control she needs 3-4 meals per day. I know people talk about the perils of dry food. In your case however an automatic feeder with dry food to let you sleep might be worth it. If she is already on dry food why not switch to a low calorie one and break her feedings up in 2 feedings per day.... or free feed her the low calorie stuff. Making sure she has dry food all night long. She isn't waking you up to annoy you. She is waking you up because her tummy hurts & she is hungry.