My cat is acting bad! Need help!

viper2191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I am new to these forums. I have 2 cats both are young. The normal cat is an american shorthair, dark colored. He is a rescue, and was neutered from an early age. I first lived at my wifes brothers house, now I have my own apartment. The orange cat is a Somali long haired cat, who just randomly showed up at my wifes parents house, meowing. They gave it to her brother, who gave me both cats upon getting an apartment. The orange cat was not neutered. He kept meowing at night, always getting outside,.,.,./, and spraying all over. We chose the cheap neuter option, the 40 dollar neutering at the local shelter. He came back, and it still appears he has his balls, but whatever. Since then he stopped meowing at my bedroom door. We got him neutered when i was living at my wife's brother's house. After the neutering, every few days for a half hour, he would act crazy, and start meowing, and peeing, and hissing. He runs into a corner, and does this. Since I moved in my apartment, he acted a bit better. But every 3-4 days he gets into this rage mood, and starts meowing, and hissing, and growling, and runs away to a corner. It stops after an hour and he is normal. What is this?! It is annoying! Why cant he be normal like the other cat?!?! He then sits in his corner and growls. Hopefully someone here can help me with this, because I am not a cat behavioral expert. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

viper2191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also noticed that during these episodes of the howling and hissing he licks his genitals a lot. Anyone know why he is doing this?

viper2191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Noone knows anything????? Also during these episodes he crouches like he has to pee, but doesn't pee everytime

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way you can take him to a vet? It sounds to me like he might be sick. How long has this been going on?

Only if the vet doesn't find anything would I think this is behavioral.

viper2191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its been happening for a month, and I dont think hes sick because for 3 days he will act fine

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any type of behavior like this needs to be addressed by a vet.  That's the place to start.

viper2191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good idea, a vet's opinion is important, thanks

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Noone knows anything????? Also during these episodes he crouches like he has to pee, but doesn't pee everytime
This is very serious. It sounds to me like he has a urinary tract infection of some kind. These are extremely painful, and in a male cat can create a blockage. Once a cat blocks, he will die within 24 hours without emergency treatment. And it is a horrible death, the bladder will burst.

Please take your cat to the vet without any further delay, tomorrow if not tonight, he is most likely in quite a lot of pain.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I missed this one. When you answer your own posts, my Unanswered Post filter doesn't kick in.

He could have a UTI like others told you, or he could have crystals in his bladder. Either one is serious enough to take him to the vet immediately.