My cat is a teenager mommy to be

CleverB13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby is young her name is poppy & she’s pregnant. This is the first cat pregnancy I’ve been hands on & involved with but I’ve seen multiple feline preggers before this.
Poppy prefers in this stage to be on a colder surface but appreciates having me around. How else can I make her more comfortable? I’m keeping small children & strangers away from her until birth, set up a large box with towels & make sure she is constantly fed (she’s eating for what? at least 5 lol.). She’s a finicky mrs has an attitude & let’s me know what she wants when she wants it but is there anything I should know otherwise?
Please keep in mind this again my first hands on experience with pregnant cat care let alone after birth & I obviously cannot own 3-7 cats so if anyone is able to help me with information so I’m able fo give them wonderful homes; any advice is appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleverB13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: Two threads have been merged here so there is some overlap.

Poppy is an indoor outdoor Cat somewhat domesticated but was previously a “stray”. Poppy knows her place & is allowed in the house or outside when she wants.
She is also quite pregnant.
Wonderful cat I’m not sure what to do for her but she is about to burst at the seems with a litter of kittens.
Is there anything I should know I’m googling & binging everything or possible comforts for her but it is not the same as someone who knows cats.
also she keeps wanting to claw on our sofas with fabric. She will pop up & lay with me on the faux leather couch but the chairs with textured fabrics she wants to sharpen her nails.Should I invest in some form of textured claw post for her?
& yes I know indoor outdoor cats are more maintenance & maybe she’s spoiled but she prefers to do her business outside & I don’t have to litter box her but she’s entirely more comfortable being able to come & go when she wants. I’m slightly worried she will birth outside & out weather still is not warm enough should I be concerned?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat. Thank you for taking her in.

Try to buy these sofa protection covers as soon as you can. But when there are cats, expect some scratched furnitures here and there. You can also add some scratching posts, and place around the house. Soon there will be kittens, and they will be climbing and running all over, so as early as now you can do the cat-proofing as much as you can. I hope she gets fixed as soon as she has done nursing.

As for letting her outdoor, I just had a cat that came back half-paralyzed. I don't know what happened to him if he got ran over by a car or hit by an object by someone. I do not want to scare you, but there are a lot of dangers outside. If you can, it would be safer for her inside.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep her indoors only from now on. Otherwise, she’ll immediately get pregnant again after giving birth. Or go into heat and disappear for days mating, leaving you with a litter to hand feed around the clock.

CleverB13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan on spaying here soon. She had four kittens & is taking great care of them. She came & found me when it was go time had her first in the bathroom & when she realized what was happening she took kitten #1 to my kids dresser (it’s open face so no way for anyone to be stuck or hurt) & had the remaining three there before I got a chance to get her cat bed box I made her. Oh well. So 4 babies & mama all are safe sound & taken well care of.

CleverB13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I wondered how soon that could happen or if I could immediately have her spayed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can have her spayed in about 5-6 weeks, when the kittens are not so dependent on her for nursing. And keep those kittens with Mama for at least 10 weeks, 12 is better, so that they learn how to "cat" properly before going to their new homes!

CleverB13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan on spaying here soon. She had four kittens & is taking great care of them. She came & found me when it was go time had her first in the bathroom & when she realized what was happening she took kitten #1 to my kids dresser (it’s open face so no way for anyone to be stuck or hurt) & had the remaining three there before I got a chance to get her cat bed box I made her. Oh well. So 4 babies & mama all are safe sound & taken well care of.
Soo…my cat is acting like she is still pregnant & again she was very very large for just four but is it possible two days later she has more cuz she’s in the box I laid out next to her first four idk what I got myself into honestly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s possible she may deliver another kitten. Or she may be having after pains. Those can last a couple of days. Time will tell.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because cats can mate several times while in heat, and can have several fathers for a single litter, it is also possible that not all of the kittens are due on the very same day, and occasionally some will be born a short while later.