My Cat Is A Bully...

Munchkincath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, i posted before about my now 6 months (almost 7) old kitten. Every previous behaviour are now good. We adopted a second kitten the same age, a very nice, calm and lovable female.

They seem de like eachother. They groom eachother, cuddle and play together. My only problem is my first cat is kind of a bully. Sometimes while playing, she starts getting too rough. Its not aggression since she is never vocal, but my newest kitten often screams in pain with the bitting. There has however never had a single drop of blood. I never noticed a single injury.

When this happens i clap loudly to make her stop since she don't listen to the complains of the second kitten, but i'm woundering of there is a way to stop her being so rough with the newest kitten? I am really starting to feel very sorry for the latest...

I'm really hoping there is a solution :/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the other kitten trying to get away? If not, the screaming is just part of the game, like kids shrieking at the playground. Don't interfere, that's just how they like to play. Some cats like to be vocal while they play and you could swear one is being murdered!

If she is trying to get away, just keep interrupting the way you've been doing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think your first cat is trying to bully. She is just excited to have a playmate and either she is getting too rough for the new kitten or the new kitten just isn’t ready for wrestling matches yet. Her crying lets your first cat know to lighten up. You don’t want to get in the way of this too much because this is how each learns about the others boundaries. I suggest supervising closely when the two cats are mismatched in size and age, but that is not the case with yours. So, unless there are actual bites or one or the other cat is hiding and fearful of the other I would not interfere. But of the noise is bothering you divert their attention with a toy or wand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Munchkincath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the other kitten trying to get away? If not, the screaming is just part of the game, like kids shrieking at the playground. Don't interfere, that's just how they like to play. Some cats like to be vocal while they play and you could swear one is being murdered!

If she is trying to get away, just keep interrupting the way you've been doing.
The new kitten is not afraid in a normal situation, but always ends up trying to get away in this specific situation and she does not let her go. She keeps purchasing her until she is well hidden.

I don’t think your first cat is trying to bully. She is just excited to have a playmate and either she is getting too rough for the new kitten or the new kitten just isn’t ready for wrestling matches yet. Her crying lets your first cat know to lighten up. You don’t want to get in the way of this too much because this is how each learns about the others boundaries. I suggest supervising closely when the two cats are mismatched in size and age, but that is not the case with yours. So, unless there are actual bites or one or the other cat is hiding and fearful of the other I would not interfere. But of the noise is bothering you divert their attention with a toy or wand.
I think you are right, she is excited most of the time (except when the newest lies in her favorite hamock). Its been about a month since we adopted the other one, so i'm trying to not interfare unless i hear her cry for too long.

Thank you guys for your answers!!