My cat is 62 day pregnant and she still didn't give birth

kitty223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! My cat is 62 days pregnant and she does seem like she's been nesting a bit and i can feel milk from her nipples but they aren't leaking out yet. Her kittens have been kicking around like crazy, she seems to be really tired and all she wants to do is sleep. One of my other cats is a neutred male and for some reason for the past few days he's been attacking her specifically and I'm scared its stressing her out and may harm the kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You think so?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can take up to 67 days and be completely normal. 62 days is just an average. Some cats even 70, but that is rare. If you feel the kittens moving they have not lined up in the birth canal yet, and she has not 'dropped', where she looks smaller because they have lined up. All is normal, it seems like waiting takes forever. I wouldn't stress her out by a vet visit right now. She has a lot of hormones going on right now, maybe confusing the neutered cat and causing him to attack because she smells different. Definitely keep them separated right now and monitor him around the babies when they come. you don't want him attacking them. All the luck and keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely separate them. Mom needs peace and quiet and to feel safe once her babies come. Just keep waiting - your cat may not give birth for another week. She’s close though!

kitty223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a little update for everyone: we took her to the vet last nigh and they found puss coming out of her, turns out she has an infection and since she didn't give birth during the night she'll have to have a c section in a few hours :( her babies heartrates are really high so they said they're under distress. lets hope everything will turn ok!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor mama, but glad all is well so far. Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i would take your cat to the vet right away
I dont think you shall be alarmist, unless you DO see clear signs for alarming... And good if you tell what is alarming.

Of course, a good contact with your vet is always wise to have.

Ps, reading further on, I saw there WAS a cause for serious concern. So your advice become after all good.

What is it you reacted on? Alarmed on?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
a little update for everyone: we took her to the vet last nigh and they found puss coming out of her, turns out she has an infection and since she didn't give birth during the night she'll have to have a c section in a few hours :( her babies heartrates are really high so they said they're under distress. lets hope everything will turn ok!!
Good you did obeyed your instincts. I suppose you noticed some small yet alarming signs, but which you didnt described in the first post...
Because the first post was quite normal situation waiting game... Just the male neuter being an nuisance...

So yeah, its wise to listen to your instincts, even if you cant put them in words!

kitty223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since she's been out of the c section, when she hears the babies cry she starts. meowing and leaves. She isn't lactating at the moment so thats why I'm bottle feeding them all. I feed them all every 2 hours and help them go to the bathroom. Any advice??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be lactating, even with a C-section, so putting them with her in between hand feeding should help them begin to find nipples and latch. The latching will stimulate her milk to come in, but it could still be a couple of days. Moms with C-sections are in some pain for about 3 days after the surgery, but it’s clear she wants to care for them.

So, they need to nest with her, but keep bottle feeding for now until you are sure they are nursing from mom and gaining weight. But again, it could take a few days for the transition because of the surgery. This is not uncommon after a C-section.

Keep a weight chart. It’s the only way to know if they are getting enough from you or mom.

Did they give you pain meds for mom? She needs them the first 3 days.

kitty223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today she bit them and went to where she was nesting, she would only take one and leave the others so i took them all and had them with her, they're sucking but as i said previously there's no milk. They're all nursing from the bottle just fine and have no problem. Unfortunately no they didn't give me any meds for her pain, they said she should be just fine by this morning which can clearly see, she's walking around with them and cuddling them.