My cat is 6 months old but his balls still haven't dropped.

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago I got curious when my cats balls would drop and searched it up, most websites said that at the latest they should've dropped by 6 months.

He's 6 months almost 7 and there's just nothing.
He's def male, he's not castrated as far as we know and has no other issues.

He's happy and healthy but I just find it a bit odd?
Maybe he's just a late bloomer?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neuter will be a little more expensive on him but highly recommended, cryptorchidism isn't something you want him to be able to pass along and retained testes can become cancerous.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you absolutely sure he is a male? Can you post some pictures? If he is a male, he COULD have been neutered at a very young age, once they reach two lbs. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask the vet when you go in for his vaccinations. Make absolutely sure he has a distemper shot and one for leukemia, there has been an outbreak around here with the ferals, and it is heartbreaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you absolutely sure he is a male? Can you post some pictures? If he is a male, he COULD have been neutered at a very young age, once they reach two lbs. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask the vet when you go in for his vaccinations. Make absolutely sure he has a distemper shot and one for leukemia, there has been an outbreak around here with the ferals, and it is heartbreaking.
I don't have any pictures but we also have a female cat and he is most definitely a male, I don't think he's been neutered.
There is a possibility that he was since he was 4 months when we got him, which is still a bit early but you would think the previous owner would mention if he was and she did not.

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neuter will be a little more expensive on him but highly recommended, cryptorchidism isn't something you want him to be able to pass along and retained testes can become cancerous.
We have been thinking that he might have this, he isn't showing any signs of it yet other than that his balls haven't dropped.
I have been researching it and he will de be castrated if this is the case.

We adopted him as a young kitten and i think it would be really irresponsible of the previous owner to breed her cats if she was aware that this was an issue.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they supposed to be breeding cats?

Still keep him separated from the female; most cryptorchid cats are sterile but not always!

My cousin's kitten was cryptorchid and the vet made us wait until he was showing signs of being a tomcat before he'd go in to find the testicles, "just in case" the cat had been neutered young. He was a bottle baby so there wasn't any chance of that but the vet still wanted to wait. So he was 10 months old before he was neutered, and the vet had to cut him in 3 places to find everything. That could probably be avoided if the vet does an ultrasound first, all depends on your budget.

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they supposed to be breeding cats?

Still keep him separated from the female; most cryptorchid cats are sterile but not always!

My cousin's kitten was cryptorchid and the vet made us wait until he was showing signs of being a tomcat before he'd go in to find the testicles, "just in case" the cat had been neutered young. He was a bottle baby so there wasn't any chance of that but the vet still wanted to wait. So he was 10 months old before he was neutered, and the vet had to cut him in 3 places to find everything. That could probably be avoided if the vet does an ultrasound first, all depends on your budget.
They're not breeding cats although we were planning on having kittens to keep, that won't be happening if he's a cryptorchid.
We're planning on booking a vet appointment soon just to be completely sure and he will probably be castrated.

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you see them in the abdomen?
I didn't even know you could see them in the abdomen, any tips on how to see or feel them?
I think I'm going to do some research and then have a look.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask your vet. He could already been neutered because cats can be spayed/neutered as young as 2 months of age. Also, you will want to get your female in to be spayed as soon as possible to prevent possible pyometra and the stress on your kitty and your home on going through a heat cycle.

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would ask your vet. He could already been neutered because cats can be spayed/neutered as young as 2 months of age. Also, you will want to get your female in to be spayed as soon as possible to prevent possible pyometra and the stress on your kitty and your home on going through a heat cycle.
We asked his previous owner and he's not been castrated(we adopted him as a kitten) and both of them will eventually be castrated and spayed.