My Cat ingested Oregano lost half his weight in one month still sick has an ultrasound today

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone dealt with Toxins a cat ingested? I for the past month have been taking my Cat daily to the Vet for Sub-Q fluids, and weekly for blood work. Bloodwork keeps coming back good. My Cat Milsap quit eating on Saturday and right now is having an ultrasound.

Before and after pictures

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The weight loss is clear in the pics. While I have never had a cat ingest oregano, nor used oregano oil on a cat (which is something to avoid completely), it is toxic to cats. Most toxins are dose dependent and, in the case of oregano, a very small amount should be manageable and the cat should return to good health.

This was a month ago and you have been taking your cat for subQ fluids for every day? Was Milsap eating after he ingested the oregano, once you got him to the vet for the fluids? You are doing the right thing to have the US. High doses of a substance like oregano can damage the liver; don't panic, liver conditions can be managed in many cases and you will know more once you get the results of the US. Let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will still waiting on another Vet to look at the results. I made another appointment with another Vet for a second opinion because this Vet made me wait 2 weeks for an ultrasound.

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The weight loss is clear in the pics. While I have never had a cat ingest oregano, nor used oregano oil on a cat (which is something to avoid completely), it is toxic to cats. Most toxins are dose dependent and, in the case of oregano, a very small amount should be manageable and the cat should return to good health.

This was a month ago and you have been taking your cat for subQ fluids for every day? Was Milsap eating after he ingested the oregano, once you got him to the vet for the fluids? You are doing the right thing to have the US. High doses of a substance like oregano can damage the liver; don't panic, liver conditions can be managed in many cases and you will know more once you get the results of the US. Let us know what you find out.

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I heard from the Vet and his intestines are very swollen. She prescribed Presidone. She also stated of course Cancer, but she didn’t see any mass or Tumors and the Oregano could of caused the issue. I also was sent home Prescription Science Diet Urgent Care and Digestive Care Cans, also Sub-Q Fluids to do twice a day from home. I go back in 2 weeks for more blood work. I have to force feed water and small meals of food along with the Sub-Q fluids due to the Presidone causing more Dehydration. I’m pretty sure it isn’t Cancer though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is some good news. Vets often mention intestinal lymphoma if there is any condition involving that part of the body, so don't panic. Keep up with the instructions and stay in touch with the vet if things don't improve.

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His wobblying and hiding under the bed bothers me. He stopped eating all together last Saturday and didn’t get his steroids until yesterday and seems real bloated. How long does it take for the Prednisolone to start working? I’m having to force feed him to keep his liver from shutting down.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Steroids, while they will cause an increase in appetite, are not specific appetite stimulants like mirtazapine, capromorelin or the like. Bloating can occur with them, but I have no way of knowing that it is the cause of the bloating that you are seeing. I think you should call the vet and update him and ask for an appetite stimulant if that is appropriate, along with keeping him updated on the continued wobbling and hiding.