My cat in the bathroom while im away?

glaciathewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have both cat and mice. My mice are in a glass tank with a lid. Im afraid of the cat getting ontop of the tank while im away i thought of putting her in the bathroom but i think this would be a bit mean...there are no doors to the bedroom or kitchen and the mice cage is in the living room at times i can be away for several hours. She would be let out when i got home and she is allowed to roam around the house at night. So would it be mean to lock her in the bathroom when im away?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put her somewhere where she has more room and a window?  A bedroom perhaps.  Can you put the mice in the bathroom?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to move the mice to a more enclosed room so that she could be closed out of the room while you're away? I had mice and a cat at the same time a few years back.. The cat would watch the mice from my bed, but never did anything to harm them.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on size but most pocket pet cages can fit into lower bottom kitchen cupboards as long as you're OK with it (can cover shelf with newspaper) and if a little light slips in they will be fine.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be best if you moved the mice into the enclosed room, like a bathroom, since they don't need to roam or anything. Then your kitty can have the house all to herself, besides the bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glaciathewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bathroom has a big window in it she can sit in I dont want to move the mice bc they are in a 10 gallon glass aquarium and i dont want to risk breaking it. The bathroom is big as well

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the aquarium is solid glass with a metal frame and a secure top, no house cat that I know of can get inside. Just make sure the top is well secured.

They make tops for aquariums meant to keep things like snakes, lizards, insects and spiders from getting out. A device that keeps creepy-crawlies from getting out should certainly keep your average cat from getting in.

Beyond that, just make sure the aquarium is in a place where the cat can't knock it down to the floor.

Secure the tank and it'll probably make some good entertainment for your cat while you are away! :D :D :D

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the things that I do with my Tarantula aquarium to keep the cats out is I wrap a belt around the entire aquarium and tighten it down. This way even if the cats knock the aquarium over the glass box won't let them in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glaciathewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im going to tape the lid down while im away i put the cat ontop of  it and it doesnt look like she could break it. thank you for the advice guys!

Also my mice dont even care they are just like "What up cat" XD

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Easy solution is to put the mice in the bathroom and close the door. Mice couldn't care less where their tank is located. They're happy in their little world inside of a tank

The bathroom has a big window in it she can sit in I dont want to move the mice bc they are in a 10 gallon glass aquarium and i dont want to risk breaking it. The bathroom is big as well
A 10 gallon tank isn't that heavy or a pain to move. I used to have a 15 gallon for my gerbils and it was a little bulky but not unresonable to carry.  Be mindful of the cat and carefully walk so you don't trip over the cat and drop the tank. Cats love to get underfoot at the worst times
If  you want to be extra cautious, take the mice out first and put them into a temporarily holding cage or tank. A medium Kritter Keeper tank works well or just use a large empty plastic storge container that the mice can't climb or jump out of. Remove any tubes and stuff you may have extending out the top of the tank. Then move the tank to the bathroom and put the mice and tubes, etc back where they belong.

Your cat will be just fine in the rest of the house / apartment. I'm sure you have other windows that the cat can look out of

I have mice, too. I keep the tank in the bedroom and keep the door closed when I am not home. The cats don't care about not having access to the bedroom while I'm gone.

If your cat doesn't have much interest in the mice, then you could probably leave the tank where it is and just cat-proof it.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I once got mice purely for the entertainment of the cats :D. The mice were in a regular aquarium with a screen lid, and the cats never got in. They'd sit on top of the cage and everything. A little extra tape/strapping wouldn't be a bad idea.

cats908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe the mice could just be the one in the bathroom (as its in the cage and has no freedom anyway).Of course I own cats myself when I go out for a few days my next-door neighbor looks after she checks a for a few minutes then leaves.If you do do this then make sure it's someone you can trust because they could steal something valuable you left behind!Aswell while they're there he/she could feed the cat and the mouse!

Thanks for reading! :rbheart::rbheart:

derekthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't sound like a good idea to lock a cat in a bathroom even if there is a big window. Cats need lots of stimulation, space and toys while you're away. Mice I don't know about, but if you're keeping animals in a tank presumably it doesn't make a huge difference where that tank is. The most important thing is to leave your cat with plenty of room to roam around - leave as many doors open as you can - so maybe (as people have said above) the important thing is to cat-proof the mouse tank. But please don't lock your cat in one room.