my cat humping stuffed toy

niki tompkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
last night my cat that is about 6 month's old took my teddy bear out of the wardrobe and started humping it and was making funny noises.

when i tried to take it off him he growled and bit me then griped onto the teddy with his teeth and carried on humping. This is the first time he has done this and i'm a bit worried. At first i thought he was in love

how can i stop him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki tompkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
today he has not been home and it has been raining allot and I'm getting worried. 

my cat is very aggressive and bites allot.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he been neutered yet?

Sounds like he's trying to mate with the teddy bear and he took your interrupting him poorly; as if you were another kitty trying to take away his "mate".  

If he hasn't come home he's probably out making babies :(  Not good.

You can't "stop" that behavior other by neutering him so if he isn't neutered, now is the time to get it done, quickly.  I'm sure those with more experience on the subject will chime in shortly.

Last edited:

niki tompkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he is all ready [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]neutered but thanks[/color]

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even in a neutered boy this is not uncommon. I know of quite a few that do this--and usually to a "special" toy or even pillows, etc.

You should have him checked by the vet to make sure they got "everything" when he was neutered just to be sure, especially since he's showing such aggressive behavior. The ones that I know of that do this don't act so aggressive about it, nor are they aggressive for long time periods.

Hope your bubby comes home soon.

Last edited:

niki tompkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks he came back just now but he's sill very aggressive if he still does it ill take him back to the vets.

sammies mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that someone else's cat is behaving that way. Sammie is also neutered. But he isn't misbehaving with a teddy bear. He gets on the bed and tries to do that to my arm in the middle of the night!  It used to happen just occasionally, but now evertytime I lie on the bed or sit in my chair with a blanket on my lap, he starts this frantic pawing and biting and humping. If I tell him to stop or push him off he makes wierd growling noises. It is pretty nasty!

Any suggestions?

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One way to check if a male kitty had a successful neuter is to have a vet look for barbs or spines on a little fella's penis. If they aren't present, then all is well on that front, and it is just a behavior that can sometimes be modified to not totally disrupt the household.

With this problem, ignore, redirect, praise might help. Da Bird is a good example of a redirect then follow with praise and maybe a treat. Or redirect to the one object that is used most often and praise them (if allowed!) for using only this object. Might work, but might not as they can be pretty darn intense when doing this.

Also, maybe the Flower Essence Snapdragon might help?

http://www.fesflowers.com/fes-store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_74&products_id=191

"Positive qualities: Lively, dynamic energy; healthy libido; verbal communication which is emotionally balanced.
Patterns of imbalance: Verbal aggression and hostility; repressed or misdirected libido; mouth and jaw tension, misplaced snapping, biting or eating behaviors."

The herb Valerian can mellow them out, so one might try a small amount of dried Valerian in a sock or fabric tea bag-sized little container placed on objects that are used. Some kitties are calmed by catnip, but some can also become more aggressive around catnip, so if you try catnip you could follow catnip with Valerian if that ends up being the case for your kitty boy.

Last edited:

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our neutered male cats (Mako) was doing this to his (also neutered) brother (Smokey).  We called our vet and he said that this behavior isn't necessarily connected to the need to procreate. He said that it might be that the cat was establishing his dominance and/or showing affection for his brother.  We break it up when we catch them doing it (Smokey tolerates this "activity," but seems slightly annoyed) in a gentle way...offer them treats or something to distract them.  Our vet said not to worry (and then proceeded to laugh...a lot....fortunately, he's a friend since high school...)

emma quiviger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Arabian Mau/Bengal cat (he is neutered) does this a lot. He even did it to a chicken bone! It was a bit scary. When I take the stuffed animal away from him, he growls a lot and stalks me until I give it back. He is very aggressive by nature (we found him as a kitten suffocating in a plastic bag near a bin with the rest of the litter dead )  and HATES everyone for no reason.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I concur with the good advice you have already received. It is not uncommon esp in males -even neutered -to see them hump stuffed toys. You can buy toys for this purpose at most well supplied pet stores. I bought one for my bunny after he was neutered and still liked my toe or chased the female kitties. It worked very well. :-)

Blibby76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
last night my cat that is about 6 month's old took my teddy bear out of the wardrobe and started humping it and was making funny noises.

when i tried to take it off him he growled and bit me then griped onto the teddy with his teeth and carried on humping. This is the first time he has done this and i'm a bit worried. At first i thought he was in love

how can i stop him?
Cats specifically neutered males from my experience will hump or dominate stuffed toys or their favorite toy or blanket. This is just that territorial dominance. The aggression toward you is also the same thing, it belongs to him. When you look up this info now a days it says sexual behavior for males yet domanice or stress for females. The reality is it can be sexual behavior or dominance and stress aggression for both male or female. However if your cat is fixed and has never really done this before more likely then not, of something major has changed in their life, a new person in the house, new animal in the house, if the owner seems to pay attention to something more then the cat and that's new. Even something as simple as playing with you; as a person we are ready to stop and cat is not, if this happens often ( which in my experience it's the cat that gives up playing with human more often can cause it. I had a cat that was male he had not been fixed at that point as he was 8 months old and we had a hard time finding a good vet in our areas, so every time I took him to vet to be fixed it seemed like there was a crisis that the vet had to reschedule. After the 3rd time of this as he was an indoor cat who hated car rides since 8 weeks old. He dominates his best stuffed toy( this toy was a baby sloth) he carried this guy everywhere to sleep to eat to do everything. Yet after rid to vet #3;about a week later he started dominating it b