My cat hissing at me for 30mins after seeing stray outside

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cant leave the porch door open anymore because every time he sees a stray animal out there now he goes vicious to everyone for 30mins, all puffed out even though they been long gone for 20mins. This is my first male cat, are they more prone to going from mellow to wild state like this? This is not good timing with my health my dad been coming over more as I am in and out of hospital. He has suggested many times with this young cats endless mysterious allergy issues, huge vet bills and stress to me that he should go to friends farm where he will have to stabilize or be dealt with old fashioned way. Do you guys think Feliway spray by the door could help?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since this is just from seeing a stray a product like feliway won't help as much. Some cats are simply more territorial and easily riled by seeing other cats. I have a female cat outside (in a cat proofed backyard) that is ok with her yard mate but will throw herself at the fence or lattice screaming if a stray cat gets too close to it - she'll run across the yard to get at them. It's actually a little unsettling as she'll lie in wait then BAM she's trying to get the other cat. It's actually worse if we're outside as she's protective of her humans.
(note: she loves people and doesn't know the meaning of skittish)

I don't think gender matters in cats that are altered. You're just as likely to get a female cat that won't tolerate another cat. If you were to put him outside, with the way he is, he would not thrive. He'd either start or be on the receiving end of attacks due to his body language/behavior towards other cats.

All you can do is keep your kitty from seeing other cats and try to keep them out of your yard and away from the house. Using feliway diffusers all the time, with your cat's health issues and your absences, could potentially reduce his stress all around.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You could try the Feliway, but it's questionable whether it would stop his hissing. His behavior is perfectly normal for a cat who sees another cat on his territory. You could block his view of outdoors, but that would deprive him of a lot of entertainment. The best thing to do is simply not go near him till he has calmed down, which he will.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's hissing at you after seeing strays this is called redirected aggression. He wants to fight them but can't get to them so he's taking it out on you. You may want to Google redirected aggression and see what advice you can find. One of my cats does this too, a female by the way, and I've found that by talking to her calmly I can usually bring her down some but it takes patience and a long time for them to learn that it's ok.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with all above. My Boo did that, and if you surprised him or tried to pet him while he saw the stray, he would attack you blindly and suddenly realize Whoops, I just attacked Mom. He climbed me like a tree I tell you what! Chickster does the same thing, but she will also do it if she gets tape stuck on her foot and it scares her, she once got a christmas ornament stuck around her tail and went slamming around the house at full speed before we could catch her. She hissed, growled and swatted at me for nearly two hours afterwards as if I had done it to her.

Be careful because I don't know about your cat, but Boo was highly touchy when a stray was around or right after.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ;have dealt with this soooo many times down through the years. Feral cats would pass by the window, and it was a free for all inside. Best buds would start hissing at eachother and if I didn't diffuse the situation, it would very easily escalate into full blown fights. Then later, they were all sleeping with eachother.

Just the other day, one of my senior cats got in with my mother cat and her two kids who are now well over a year old...we managed to get momma cat out of the room. Shortly after, we removed the senior cat as the two young ones were definately not happy. As soon as we put mom back in with them, they turned on her...their own mother. In half an hour, everything was back to normal.

Cats are wonderful but sometimes quirky. You need to prevent your cat from seeing this other cat. It is very common. Please don't do anything drastic. The situation IMO does not warrant that. Just prevent him from seeing the other cat and things should calm down.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

Chickster does the same thing, but she will also do it if she gets tape stuck on her foot and it scares her, she once got a christmas ornament stuck around her tail and went slamming around the house at full speed before we could catch her.
It's not funny but I laughed because these are great visual images.

When cats get like this they really are blind to what's around them. But, you can teach them over time not to be as sensitive. It takes a whole lot of patience but it's worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow you learn alot stuff hanging around here. Thanks for feedback my first cat she didnt do this stuff. I wish people would not let their pets roam so much around here. How about thinking of this another way, making outside cats less interested in getting anywhere near the patio. Lemon juice? Hrmm they would still have to get fairly close to smell it. Oh well it just that its happening apparently two times a day.

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think deterring the strays is a good idea.

There is a pepper product designed for this that works. You could also try lemon or orange peel. You would put these by any access points around the fence the pepper product will actually work on top of fences too.

In winter these won't be as effective. I had a relative who used mirrors too in her flower bed at the back of the garden The outsider cat sees his reflection and is spooked and doesn't come in the garden or at least leaves.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I've heard moth balls will keep strays away.
Moth balls are also toxic. Hardly something I'd want scattered around my house... besides on warm days you'll smell them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

You're supposed to put them outside. Not in.
How did what I say suggest I meant inside?
There are many types of animals outside - my house has several toads that live around it, for example, I wouldn't want to put something like that down which could harm them. (toads will occasionally snap up things they shouldn't eat). And again, you'll have to smell moth balls when you step outside your home. Maybe I'm the only person who gets nauseated and a headache from that smell?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still want the chipmunks and squirrels to hang around. Do they not like lemon smell too?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Hardly something I'd want scattered around my house...
I took that part to mean inside.
I see your point but I've got a real problem with strays causing my inside cats to spray on my doors. I've got no problem stopping that from happening!