My Cat Hates Me !

Traceydeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5yr old rescue cat. I've had her 2yrs.it took me a year to get her confidence and now she's amazing. A couple of days ago I was about to put flea treatment on her neck and she went absolutely nuts !! Hissing ,growling scratching ect. Since then she's reverted back to being scared and nervous. Every time I move or walk past her she cowers and runs away. I've ordered some feliway to help her. I'm worried she won't settle down.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just object strongly to being held for any kind of treatment. But usually in a short whilr their people are forgiven. Just let her do her thing and she will eventually come back around.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give her a few days. I go through something similar every time I treat Hekitty, and I bottle-reared her!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe the smell was very disturbing to her. did you actually get the stuff on the cat? it burns some cats, so that could also be a problem.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leave her be until she comes to you. Right now everything you do will be seen as a threat until she decides you're ok again.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she have fleas?Cats shouldn't be treated unless they actually are a threat, my cats are inside outside and have never been treated in five years and have never had fleas. In do give Profender, a topical for worms because they have rabbit as a diet, and that is the vector for tapeworm. She most likely had bad flashbacks to a traumatizing time when you tried to hold her. She will revert back in a while, some cats, like my ferals who do not trust humans, take a couple of weeks. I do not hold them at all to apply the topical wormer to their necks. I get everything ready, stroke their neck lightly while they are eating and apply it VERY quickly high up on their necks. They take off like a shot and usually disappear for a few days, but they do come around. good treats and kind words work wonders.
Don't worry, you've had a small setback, but she will come around. Just give her time.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww.... I'm so sorry! Maybe it triggered a bad memory.
I agree with the others. Give it time, go about your business and let her come to you. Have you tried offering her yummy treats to maybe make peace? Maybe get a new wand toy and attempt play with her.
If your cat doesn't have fleas and doesn't go outside, there is no reason to put that on her.
I do hope it works out.