My cat hates food.

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my lovely ginger cat from a shelter about ten months ago. They weren't sure about his age but they said he was probably about ten months at the time, so that makes him almost two years old now. He has never eaten wet food, we've tried every cat food available, we've tried fresh meat, both raw and lightly cooked, we've tried fish, both fresh and tinned, we've tried egg yolk, we've tried cheese. I've tried crushing his dried food and sprinkling it over wet food, nothing works, he will not eat it, he literally backs away from it. He will only eat tiny amounts of dried food, about three or four pieces at a time, and then only a few times a day. He seems to survive on fresh air! He is happy, inquisitive, sociable, playful, gets on well with our other cat and he's full of energy. He hasn't grown much or gained any weight but he doesn't seem to be losing weight either. He likes water and drinks plenty of it. He grooms well and his coat is lovely, clean and soft and his eyes are clear and bright. How can this be when he eats nothing?? He goes out at night but he's never out for long. If he's hunting he's doing it very quickly.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my lovely ginger cat from a shelter about ten months ago. They weren't sure about his age but they said he was probably about ten months at the time, so that makes him almost two years old now. He has never eaten wet food, we've tried every cat food available, we've tried fresh meat, both raw and lightly cooked, we've tried fish, both fresh and tinned, we've tried egg yolk, we've tried cheese. I've tried crushing his dried food and sprinkling it over wet food, nothing works, he will not eat it, he literally backs away from it. He will only eat tiny amounts of dried food, about three or four pieces at a time, and then only a few times a day. He seems to survive on fresh air! He is happy, inquisitive, sociable, playful, gets on well with our other cat and he's full of energy. He hasn't grown much or gained any weight but he doesn't seem to be losing weight either. He likes water and drinks plenty of it. He grooms well and his coat is lovely, clean and soft and his eyes are clear and bright. How can this be when he eats nothing?? He goes out at night but he's never out for long. If he's hunting he's doing it very quickly.
He is hunting outside. Stop letting him out on his own and hopefully he will eat more.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I think he might be hunting too.. cats can be very wily and fast!
Keep him in and see if it makes a difference.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he’s not hunting, a neighbor may be feeding him. I used to put out food two or three times a day for what I thought was a stray cat. I came to learn that he was actually a neighbor’s cat and I wasn’t the only one feeding him (besides his guardians.) It’s a wonder that cat wasn’t fat. 🐷😆

I recommend keeping him inside. I also recommend going with cat food brands sold in grocery stores like Friskies, Fancy Feast, and Sheba. Popular brands are popular with cats. They would not be on those shelves otherwise.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my lovely ginger cat from a shelter about ten months ago. They weren't sure about his age but they said he was probably about ten months at the time, so that makes him almost two years old now. He has never eaten wet food, we've tried every cat food available, we've tried fresh meat, both raw and lightly cooked, we've tried fish, both fresh and tinned, we've tried egg yolk, we've tried cheese. I've tried crushing his dried food and sprinkling it over wet food, nothing works, he will not eat it, he literally backs away from it. He will only eat tiny amounts of dried food, about three or four pieces at a time, and then only a few times a day. He seems to survive on fresh air! He is happy, inquisitive, sociable, playful, gets on well with our other cat and he's full of energy. He hasn't grown much or gained any weight but he doesn't seem to be losing weight either. He likes water and drinks plenty of it. He g2rooms well and his coat is lovely, clean and soft and his eyes are clear and bright. How can this be when he eats nothing?? He goes out at night but he's never out for long. If he's hunting he's doing it very quickly.
Besides the hunting,not all cats like raw and not every kind of protein. My cat Maggie likes canned,Peaches cooked meat,Coco anything. Peaches does not like fish or rabbit. Peaches licks her food so pate,Maggie like pieces so canned with meat. Cats do not hunt if it's pitch dark. There eye site is not that good so if your in a woodsy area he is probably not hunting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides the hunting,not all cats like raw and not every kind of protein. My cat Maggie likes canned,Peaches cooked meat,Coco anything. Peaches does not like fish or rabbit. Peaches licks her food so pate,Maggie like pieces so canned with meat. Cats do not hunt if it's pitch dark. There eye site is not that good so if your in a woodsy area he is probably not hunting.
Thanks for your reply but as I said, my cat does not like ANYTHING. I've spent the last ten months trying to find a food that he likes.

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he’s not hunting, a neighbor may be feeding him. I used to put out food two or three times a day for what I thought was a stray cat. I came to learn that he was actually a neighbor’s cat and I wasn’t the only one feeding him (besides his guardians.) It’s a wonder that cat wasn’t fat. 🐷😆

I recommend keeping him inside. I also recommend going with cat food brands sold in grocery stores like Friskies, Fancy Feast, and Sheba. Popular brands are popular with cats. They would not be on those shelves otherwise.
No, no-one else is feeding him and as I've already said, I've tried every cat food available plus every other kind of food.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
lynne180 lynne180 it's important to remove the option that he is hunting.
You are saying your cat eats only tiny amounts, and yet he appears healthy. It seems logical to keep him in to see if that makes a difference as all things point to him having found another food source.

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is hunting outside. Stop letting him out on his own and hopefully he will eat more.
Already tried that. We kept him in for six weeks when we first got him and during that time he only ate about two small bowls of dried food in total, despite being offered a wide variety of food. We thought his appetite would improve as he got used to being with us but if anything, it's got even worse. Vet can't find anything wrong with him. It's not normal and I'm at my wit's end. He is literally living on water and a few crumbs a day.

lynne180

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lynne180 lynne180 it's important to remove the option that he is hunting.
You are saying your cat eats only tiny amounts, and yet he appears healthy. It seems logical to keep him in to see if that makes a difference as all things point to him having found another food source.
Already tried that. Made no difference whatsoever.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your cat is surviving on "a few crumbs a day", and is a healthy weight, and the vet says he is healthy, then there has to be another food source somewhere. A full grown cat simply can't live on a few crumbs a day and not be emaciated. You need to do everything in your power to find the alternate food source.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
How long did you keep him inside?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Already tried that. We kept him in for six weeks when we first got him and during that time he only ate about two small bowls of dried food in total, despite being offered a wide variety of food. We thought his appetite would improve as he got used to being with us but if anything, it's got even worse. Vet can't find anything wrong with him. It's not normal and I'm at my wit's end. He is literally living on water and a few crumbs a day.
It's a mystery but def hunting outside and maybe inside as well, mine hunt inside and are not allowed out at all.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Long time ago I took care of a feral cat. She mostly hunted. The vet thinks she died because of fatty liver disease from not getting enough nutrition. My cat Maggie is very playful. I took her to the vet because her eating decreased and hiding. She end up having struitive crystals. Have you watched your cat pee? Other signs are over grooming and straining to pee.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
lynne180 lynne180 I don't think we are getting the whole story here. There is no way you cat could maintain a healthy weight on "water and a few crumbs a day."

Either he is eating more at home and you are not noticing or he is going out and getting food somewhere else, from hunting or from a neighbor.

You said,

He is happy, inquisitive, sociable, playful, gets on well with our other cat and he's full of energy.
Vet can't find anything wrong with him
so it sounds like everything is fine. I'm not really sure what more you want us to say.