My Cat Hates Everybody!

Persephone and I

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive had my cat, Persephone, for about a year now (I got her as a kitten). She seemed very normal and playful at first, but for the past month she’s been very aggressive toward almost everybody but me. She loves to snuggle me every chance she gets and she purrs the second I’m in the room but hisses and scratches the second she sees another person. (Mostly my 12 yr old brother and his friends). She’s O.K around my mother and stepfather, but freaks out if she even sees my brother and his friends!! She’ll chase them, attack them, hiss and then run away as if she’s terrified. Idk what to do or what’s causing this. Help please? I love my baby and I don’t want her to be stressed in her own home, considering she’s only ever calm in my bedroom.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably is terrified. Boys can move quickly and be loud and this might be scaring her. Going after them with hisses and such is her feeling the need to warn them and scare them off. I would make sure the boys know to keep their distance and give her good places to hide in or get up high and away from the boys.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m sure your brother and his friends would never do such a thing, but 12-year-old boys have been known to tease cats, besides moving quickly and being a little loud as susanm9006 susanm9006 says. I taught that age for years and I’ve watched even the sweetest of boys do stuff like that, particularly when they’re with friends and/or think it might annoy you. Do you think that might be possible?

Cats react when they’re teased or when someone plays too rough with them the only way they know: They try to defend themselves by hissing, scratching, running away and hiding...or all of the above.

If you think your brother or one of his friends might be teasing your kitty, you need to help him understand that this is bullying. We’re so large, and they’re so very small. This is not an equal situation where Persephone can help herself. Show him how to be with her, to help her trust him. Kindness toward smaller, weaker creatures shows strength and maturity!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would make sure the boys know to keep their distance and give her good places to hide in or get up high and away from the boys.
My Big Guy had to deal with this same situation. The boys weren't being mean, they were just being boisterous boys. Even so (whether with or without direct teasing) it made my cat's life so chaotic and turbulent that he eventually was rehomed to us. Our gain, no question, but still it would have been good if his original household had gotten the feedback you've received above.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My middle-aged son still elicits the same reaction from my Mingo. Mingo will even chase him and bite his ankles. I've noticed that Paul stares at Mingo as if taunting him, and of course, cats interpret staring as hostility. Tell your brother not to stare or give the cat slow blinks so your cat realizes he isn't going to be hurt.