My cat hasn't eaten in a day

maipi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat hasn't eaten for a full day as of now. She's been laggier than usual and slept some of it but was overall not her usual and appetite full self. She is around 4 months old. She may have had diarrhea yesterday morning. Recently she got a flea infestation and we have her a bath yesterday, but before that she was licking to itch really frequently. Yesterday night I gave her water and she vomited out the small bit I gave her. I rubbed a bit of petroleum jelly on her paw which she licked to help her spit out any furball but when I awoke in the morning she still did not want to eat or drink. Could this be a furball issue or something else that we need to look into?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat hasn't eaten for a full day as of now. She's been laggier than usual and slept some of it but was overall not her usual and appetite full self. She is around 4 months old. She may have had diarrhea yesterday morning. Recently she got a flea infestation and we have her a bath yesterday, but before that she was licking to itch really frequently. Yesterday night I gave her water and she vomited out the small bit I gave her. I rubbed a bit of petroleum jelly on her paw which she licked to help her spit out any furball but when I awoke in the morning she still did not want to eat or drink. Could this be a furball issue or something else that we need to look into?
Not eating for a full day is a problem and where she has the other issues as well  I think it is best to see a Vet ..

leothelioness30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be from the fleas or something in what you bathed her. Either way you need to take her to a vet. My mom's fur baby got very sick from fleas and his symptoms started not eating and it got so bad he couldn't even get up. They had to give him a blood transfusion. I'm not saying that's what's wrong with your baby because there's so many things it could be. Keep us posted on how's she's doing please.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would highly recommend to take her to the vet asap. She's too young not to eat in a whole day. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maipi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, due to the situation of it being Sunday the family is reluctant in taking her to the vet today due to the excessive fees and bad experiences we have had with pet hospitals in the past. We'll be taking her to her vet as early as we can tomorrow. In the meantime since this morning, I tried to finger feed her a little bit of food and she accepted it slowly as well as drank a bit of water. She began walking around a bit more after and was able to go to the litter box successfully. A few hours later I coaxed her to eat from her bowl and she ate a bit of the food herself and water. A few hours later her appetite was gone and she vomited a small amount of mostly bile, and after some time she was able to eat from my finger again. She herself went to drink water and has spent most of the day on the porch getting some sun and breeze. Additionally, I am considering getting her a Friskies cat food since this happened while she was eating Fancy Feast. The veterinarian was giving her Science Hill dry kitten food but I read a few weeks back that dry food did not contain the nutrients and water content necessary in their diets so we switched to canned food. She ate Friskies before her first trip to the vet as a kitten. Thanks for your concern and help everyone!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see you were able to get her to eat a little bit. I would definitely take her to the vet tomorrow though. I am definitely concerned that this could be related to the flea treatment.  Perhaps she is experiencing nausea from something. My oldest cat started vomiting bile and would not eat. Thankfully this happened when the vets were open.  I took her in and they gave her a shot for nausea.  After that she went back to eating on her own. One thing you may want to try is plain cooked chicken.  I used this to get my baby to eat because initially she did refuse to eat her food after getting the shot.

Also how long after the food change did the vomiting and refusal to eat start?  This may be a 2nd issue to discuss with the vet.  It is possible there were too many changes too quickly and she has a tummy ache from this.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I do understand you about vet fees on Sundays and after hours. Horrible!

Try to feed her boiled chicken, if she has diarrhea, boil the chicken with rice, that will hold her stomach. Also, always be sure she's drinking water... or the broth from the chicken, don't let dehydration to weaken her.