My cat hasn't eaten for 5 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiesnewmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is doing great now. Wlaking around and begging for table scraps. She loves milk after i have cereal in the morning. Her ears seem not to bother her any more, and she is eating some more food everyday. She follows me all around the house. I think now that she has been on her medicine for a week that she is now feeling much better. One more week on her antibiotics and then hopefully no more scares!! Thanks everyone.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats don't need milk. It is my understanding that one shouldn't feed cow milk specifically. If you want to give your kitty milk, it is better to get the milk specifically for cats at a pet store or give him goat's milk.

Cats can be allergic to the lactose in cow milk.

e_peery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad your cat is on the mend and doing well again

I know easy it is to get upset and feel that people are having a go at you, but really they are not. I always try to remember that everyone on these forums, including you, are very passionate about animals and their well being. Its so easy to misinterperate the emptions behind the text.
All the very best of luck and all the love in the world for you and your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiesnewmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never said she NEEDED milk. I said she likes to have a drink of it. It's not an everyday thing. Thanks to e peery for your very nice coment. I know not to get upset about how things are written, it is sometimes hard though.
She is still doing great!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadiesnewmom

I never said she NEEDED milk. I said she likes to have a drink of it. It's not an everyday thing. Thanks to e peery for your very nice coment. I know not to get upset about how things are written, it is sometimes hard though.
She is still doing great!!!
I realize you did not say she NEEDED milk. I suppose I must have worded my reply badly if you misunderstood me - all I was trying to say was that they shouldn't have cow's milk.

We all are here to learn so if somebody "types" something that appears harsh, please understand that because we cannot see the person and their expression it's easy to get upset.

I know when I came to this site, I was very ill informed about so many things and eager to learn. Sometimes the learning has been painful as I know there were probably things I could have done differently and may have been able to save my cat Simba. I'm still learning and making fewer mistakes with our kitties, but I'm sure I still have lots to learn.

Please know that the folks here are for the most part good people and really care about animals and sometimes we can be a bit over-zealous, so join us and forgive us if we come on too strong.

prissykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yah know I hate to say it but my cats have taken a couple of sips of milk from my cereal bowl every day (every day that I have eaten ceral that is) for the past 25 years and it has never harmed them a bit.

It is true cats can't digest it and I am sure some can be allergic to it but that has never happened with the 25+ cats I have had in 25+ years! I think people don't realise that the whole condemning of cat's drinking cow's milk arose from cat's being FED milk - as in that was all they got to eat. Of course a cat can not survive on just cow's milk. But milk from my cereal bowl as a treat has not harmed any cat I have ever had and I have had one that lived to the ripe old age of 23!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrissyKitty

Yah know I hate to say it but my cats have taken a couple of sips of milk from my cereal bowl every day (every day that I have eaten ceral that is) for the past 25 years and it has never harmed them a bit.

It is true cats can't digest it and I am sure some can be allergic to it but that has never happened with the 25+ cats I have had in 25+ years! I think people don't realise that the whole condemning of cat's drinking cow's milk arose from cat's being FED milk - as in that was all they got to eat. Of course a cat can not survive on just cow's milk. But milk from my cereal bowl as a treat has not harmed any cat I have ever had and I have had one that lived to the ripe old age of 23!
actually, once cats are weaned, they can lose their ability to tolerate lactose, which is why cat's shouldn't be given cows milk regularly, cat milk is formulated with reduced lactose for this reason. If cats are intolerant of lactose, they will normally be sick from drinking it - I don't have milk in the house a lot, so mine rarely get it, although I do have cat milk in for any cats that need building up.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrissyKitty

You've obviously been lucky that none of your cats had lactose intolerance. Our farm cats often got cow milk too as I recall and they didn't have a problem with it either.

I assume it's like with other things, everything in moderation and if you have a cat that is lactose intolerant I'm assuming you would soon know when it got sick.