My Cat Has Urinary Problems After Catheterization

gigimam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys im new to this website, i really need help
so, last sunday my cat was abused by our neighbor he was hit on his pelvic and dragged by his tail because he has urinated on his stuffs. so long story short, after an hour he had urinary problems, he couldnt urinate for 10 hours, next morning i took him to the vet, they said he had crystals, small stones that have formed in the kidneys and have passed down into the bladder. so they put on on catheterization for 4 days. the first 2 days was fine his pee was yellow. but after the second day he had a blockage again the catheter was blocked so we went to the vet and they unblocked, but ther was blood in his pee. on the fourth day they took it out, they examined his pee adn they said it was okey to take the catheter out. but there was still blood, they said catheters cause irritation sometimes. so today is his 3rd day without the catheter but he still urinates blood, and he takes longer to pee, and all you see is a small amount of pee, he pee's 3times a day. i took him to the vet and asked him about this issue she said his bladder was fine empty when he touched it. but its still wierd because he does drink 2 times and for him to pee little each time is scaring me. please give me some advice. btw my cat in unneutered male. (the doctors prescribed herbal drink, some medication, and change of diet sorry for my english.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you report the incident with your neighbor to the police? I don’t know where you are, but in most of the civilized world, animal abuse is against the law.

Catheters sometimes cause irritation just by being there. Did anyone mention giving your cat anti-inflammatory medicine to calm down the area? There are also medication for relaxing the sphincters, which may be in spasm after the trauma from the stones and the catheters.

I hope you are feeding your cat wet food and that your vet has sent the stones for analysis and checked the urine pH to make sure it’s in the acceptable range.

Finally, your cat needs to be neutered. I don’t know why, but the incidence of urinary obstruction is much less in neutered males.

Good luck with your cat. What’s his name? Do you have a photo? Please come back and let us know what happens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may stop peeing on things if he is neutered too. I would try to keep him inside, your neighbor sounds like a menace. I think he is injured worse then the vets found out. He may have nerve damage since his tail was involved, that controls bladder and defecating functions too. He most likely will recover in time, but it will take a lot of it. Catheterization causes swelling which might account for the longer pee periods and small amounts. As long as he is going at all that is good. an antibiotic is usually prescribed, make sure he takes all of it for the time they say. I think it will take a week at least for him to start to recover. Call your vet if you have any concerns. it is a good thing for ALL of us to learn to palpate the bladder area on a cat and learn what an empty bladder and what a full one feels like. Ask your vet to show you. One that won't empty is a serious, life threatening condition and can kill quickly.
PS watch that neighbor closely. Anyone that can harm a domestic animal like that, instead of talking to you or just scaring it away, is capable of harming children and anyone weaker than himself. Harming animals is one indicator of a serial killer in the making, that has been proven over and over.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree wholeheartedly with what has been mentioned. I hope you will file a complaint with the police department. I also agree with the need for an anti-inflammatory, but of course ask the vet. Not only does the use of a catheter cause irritation, but your poor kitty has suffered physical trauma and also psychological trauma. Stress on it's own affects the urinary system and causes inflammation and spasms of the bladder and urethra.
The blood you see could be coming from an infection, the physical irritation of the urethra from the catheter but could also be from the bladder inflammation. All of which are "normal", for a lack of better word, considering your cats trauma.
It took several weeks for our cat to recover from a blockage, where he needed to be catheterized for 5 days. He was given, an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, an anti-spasm medication, and a relaxant. His pees were much smaller than usual and he took longer to go (strained a bit). But with time he eventually regained proper function. I really do hope he gets better soon, but be patient and keep the vet updated of any changes.
And I urge you to please get him neutered, especially if you let him outside. Not only is it better for his health, but he shouldn't be contributing to making babies, that may or may not have homes, and it also puts him in more danger of getting into fights with other cats in the neighborhood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gigimam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for your help. today is the 6th day him without catheter and he still urinates very little, he drinks a lot, his stomach is full of liquid but he urinates very little 2-3 times a day, and sometimes i force him to urinate by taking him on his sand. yes the doctor did prescribe antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and other medication. i told my vet to do x ray on him, and she just ignores and ignores and ignores says that he doesnt need x-ray. i dont know what to do. im afraid maybe something is wrong with his kidneys or something else. but today when he was laying on top of me i felt something round soft small ting on his side of the bladder and it was only on his right. i dont know will he ever get back to normal ? and how long does it take usually? can a normal xray show if there is a problem such as?