My cat has turned her nose to her daily food

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, the problem I am facing currently is that one of my cat has taken up her nose from her usual food. Currently I am in a quite tight spot from 8 month's and unable to feed them premium cat food and feeding them with whiskas and in wet food bellotta. So what happens right now, she showed interest in one of whiskas chicken flavour dry food. So I restock with a 3kg cat food of same, but after having it for one or two times, she lifted her nose and had quite a massive diarrhea. I bought chicken for soothing her stomach. But now she is all over for boneless chicken.

As chicken is not a whole food for her, amd quite expensive for me right now. Help me to find a good solution for her, she is being quite arrogant and picky. I just want her to adjust for a little more 2 months.

And there is also one concerning point, that I found some blood spots (like spot of saliva) in her food bowl. They were little tiny. So should I take her to vet? I forgot to take pictures of that, I will attach them later.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat? The older, the more likely to suspect a possible illness. However, if you made a fairly abrupt change to the dry food, it could be what is causing the diarrhea - and, maybe even some blood from her stomach, although that is usually not as common. Typically, when changing out dry food, a gradual transition is always best. So, if you were giving her something else besides Whiskas before, you might need to buy some more and mix it with the Whiskas to let her system get used to the new food.

I am not familiar with Bellotta so I looked it up and it doesn't seem to be nutritionally complete for a cat. So, while your cats can have it for treats/snacks, it doesn't look like it should be relied on as part of their general meals. It also seems to be mainly fish based, so something else besides fish would be a good thing to add to their diet. Can you try Whiskas wet food, which would be complete, and does come in other flavors besides fish? If not Whiskas, perhaps Friskies which is usually no more expensive than Whiskas. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the cat foods available in India, but hopefully other members will come along who are familiar and can give you some ideas on what you might try for other foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is around 20 months old, and no I haven't changed food suddenly, they were on this from past 2-3 months. And I introduced her this chicken flavour on previous month only.

And I was not much aware about fish thing, I myself got aware after searching online and will not feed them anymore of these after it's finished, will purchase fresh chicken for treats or any other.

Should I keep her on fasting? And should I stop giving bellotta all together from now only.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Theoretically, it could take a month for her system to show signs of upset by a new food. You can check to see how much different the ingredients are between the previous food and this chicken flavor one to see if something stands out. Mixing the old flavors with the chicken might be one way to see if that helps any. It is also possible that this whole brand of food just doesn't sit well with her digestive tract, and the chicken one was just too much for her.

Feeding some fish a couple times a week is not a big deal, there just should be other proteins in their diet as well. No harm in giving them Bellotta while you search for a replacement. You don't want to deny them of all of the foods they are used to until you can find some others to try.

I don't think fasting for any cat is a good idea. Maybe for a few hours, if they are vomiting, but not so much for diarrhea. Make sure she stays hydrated to offset the loss of fluids through the diarrhea. Hopefully, you will see the diarrhea stop soon, especially if you reduce the chicken flavor from her diet. If it does not stop, or you see more/larger amount of what appears to be blood in her saliva, then it probably is time to have her checked out by a vet.

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theoretically, it could take a month for her system to show signs of upset by a new food. You can check to see how much different the ingredients are between the previous food and this chicken flavor one to see if something stands out. Mixing the old flavors with the chicken might be one way to see if that helps any. It is also possible that this whole brand of food just doesn't sit well with her digestive tract, and the chicken one was just too much for her.

Feeding some fish a couple times a week is not a big deal, there just should be other proteins in their diet as well. No harm in giving them Bellotta while you search for a replacement. You don't want to deny them of all of the foods they are used to until you can find some others to try.

I don't think fasting for any cat is a good idea. Maybe for a few hours, if they are vomiting, but not so much for diarrhea. Make sure she stays hydrated to offset the loss of fluids through the diarrhea. Hopefully, you will see the diarrhea stop soon, especially if you reduce the chicken flavor from her diet. If it does not stop, or you see more/larger amount of what appears to be blood in her saliva, then it probably is time to have her checked out by a vet.
Her diarrhea has stopped after giving her chicken, and not giving her chicken flavour cat food, she is for sure right now gobbling on chicken with lots of water added and been trying to lure her in eating whiskas kitten (their old one). I will stop bellotta for her not the other cat of mine. Will buy fresh chicken as soon I got paycheck. But till now she is not eating dry food at all that's what matters for me. If I mix little in her chicken then also she will gobble up chicken only and leaves her dry food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try mixing some water with the dry food, to soften it up so that it is more like wet food, and see if she will eat it that way.

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried that but sadly it failed. Let me observe her, could it be because of coconut oil. I also recently increased her coconut oil amount. And her stomach thought that it was because of cat food?