My cat has no interest in toys! and she barely moves around....+feeling extra nervous

erinkimbap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! a few months ago I posted about taking in a pregnant stray cat, she gave birth to seven healthy kittens and they are all doing good.

I took the mama (Pickle), and one boy (Dill) who's 6 weeks old. The rest will be up for adoption and it's happening pretty quickly(Hooray!)

Pickle is about 10 months old according to the vet, she's healthy. But for some reason she's never interested in toys.

I heard that it's good for cats to jump around and play and simulate hunting, so I bought different types of toys for her (cat dancer, interactive cat wand with a tiny bird doll, pom poms, little mouse dolls, etc..)

I try to engage her but she's just not interested, she stares at me as if she knows it's fake lol.

She's not even interested in catnips, so catnip toys are useless as well.

I gave her cardboard scratcher but she's not into that either...

When she was pregnant, I thought maybe she's too heavy to run around, but she's still not interested in playing.

Could it be just that she's tired? or just her nature? I don't know if the toys look too fake for her since she used to on the street, actually hunting.

I've seen my neighbors' cats react to toys almost instantly, so I'm very puzzled.

Any advice?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you say the vet says she's healthy, but have you had her checked for anemia and infections?

is she engaged when you pet her - does she purr?  eat normally?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erinkimbap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been reading more about anemia! She is getting her vaccine soon so I should get her checked for that when I visit the vet.

Her appetite hasn't changed, she likes eating.

I bought some other toys, I think the cat dancer is kind of working but she never gets up or runs around.

She lays down and tried to grab the toy, but it doesn't last too long. She loses interest very quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erinkimbap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like I've been asking tons of questions lately!
So I have a mama cat who is about 10months old, and a 7.5week old boy.
Mama cat is very shy and timid, I've recently brought them home(about 3wks ago) and mama cat is still feeling a little uncomfortable. They both hide under the bed, but the little boy Dill loves to play, so he comes out and plays when he feels curious and excited.
He has been eating a small can of wet kitten food everyday, sometimes he goes to his mama for some milk. Overall I'm glad that he's physically healthy.
But he's not really fond of my hands, or he thinks it's a toy. He doesn't get hissy, so I'm assuming he wants to play. He bites my hands and when I try to stroke him he wants to grab my hand and wrestle. Also he cries every time I pick him up, even though I'm being very gentle and keeping him close to my chest. He just doesn't stay next to me when I try to touch him. He often runs away. I've seen videos on youtube saying that you should hold them and not let them go for a few mins? Is this a real thing? I feel like I'm forcing my kitty to stay with me and that would rather have a negative effect on him.
And I feel like he's distant from me because the mama cat is a little distant from me. She's a super shy and timid girl...she gets frightened by literally every little move. I feel like he's learning to fear me a little because of mama. Oh and they hated having guests over, they did not come out at all.I want to teach the little boy how to hang out with people when he's young enough to learn! What can I do?

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello! I think that you should get down onto his level (laying down) with a couple of treats (not too many as at his age his body is not really geared up to eating junk) break them up into tiny pieces and allow him to come to you. when he sniffs near you drop a little piece near him, don't try to reach out or touch him. You have to let him initiate the relationship. He may not respond at first, but try with different things, conventional treats, his favourite toy. Gradually reduce the distance between yourself and the reward. He will soon warm up.

If all he wants to do is play, you can try tying a toy round your waist and just going about your daily business so it drags along the floor, he should come out to investigate, as soon as he does give him a reward. then continue on about doing whatever, he might follow the toy. If he doesn't, then leave him. Don't approach him head on, this will only scare him. Very gradually you should be able to quickly give him a pet before he scurries off to check out something else.

The important thing to remember is that he may not ever want to be a 'lap cat' but you can still have a very rewarding relationship with him