My cat has megacolon what can I do?

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After number of tests because my cat never poops in herlitter box, and almost exclusivly in my bed. The vet came to the diagnostic she has megacolon, it's not terrible because she is Young and she poops everyday even if its with a lot of effort, but she makes it. But now I don't know how to help her, the vet just said give her more wet foods but I don't now what that implies? How can I help my kitty do in her box without pain, I now she. Is in pain and that is why she dosent do it in her box, but I want to help her. So any advice anyone??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she was diagnosed with megacolon, they have drugs for that.  Did your Vet not put her on any?  If he suggested more wet food, that sounds more like chronic constipation, which is something different, which can turn into megacolon later on.

More water certainly helps with chronic constipation, adding more water to already wet food helps, adding plain canned pumpkin can help, and if that doesn't work, adding a tiny bit of Miralax (or a generic) usually works.  Did your Vet nor offer any of those suggestion either (except for more wet food)?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site may help you. The most important thing is to feed a bio appropriate diet that's meat based, and use the right balance of both soluble and insoluble fibers to help manage the megacolon. Additionally some stool softeners may be necessary, too. 

http://felineconstipation.org/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello thank you for replyinh.
No he didn't suggest any medication, but his diagnose was megacolon. Maybe the treatment isn't available in my country, aside from wet food he said just laxatives for the rest of her life and a special food for cats with these problems but also again not available in my country. so I was hoping for some advice for dupes or alternative options, because I don't want it to get worse...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know they make special foods for cats with digestive problems that are non prescription. I'm not sure how well they work though.

Last edited:

Ryetim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a twelve year old male that had megacolon. Drugs didn't work. My Vet finally suggested I let him go, but we could try acupuncture first. I thought she was crazy but gave it a try. It actually worked for About a year. Unfortunately I believe this is an almost always fatal condition in the end.