My Cat Has Made Friends With Dogs!!!

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat is almost a year old now...we recently shifted to new place and our front gate of the house towards the street has grilling with small openings from where my cat sits and watch the street activities. He sees the different kind of animals as well as humans, also trucks, cars etc. passing by. As here there are lots of street dogs roaming around and sometimes 8-10 dogs come and sit around in this street. To my surprise one day I found all these dogs some sitting some standing near my front gate and my cat had his hand out from the grill and was poking their faces with his paws and the dogs were wagging their tail and licking my cats hands. I at once picked my cat and brought him in. (because I do not want them to kill him) But again few days I saw the same thing and all the dogs were from outside licking my cat and whining to play with him. Now it has been a routine the dogs gather sometime in morning or evening outside the gate and my male cat plays with them from inside with his hands...but now I am very much worried.

My concern is: Has my male cat made all these dogs as his friend and if he has made will they harm him. We always keep the gate closed and locked it opens only when someone comes in or goes out. And we always first bring the cat inside the room and then open the gate. All the dogs lick my cat from outside and my cat take out his hands out from the grill and poke their faces and even held their ears with his paws and rolls around with happiness when sees the dogs... Kindly advise what to do...Can a cat be a dog's friend..

Also one more thing I would add, I take my cat out for walks..I do not put harness but I carry my cat on my shoulders like a baby holding him with one hand and we both go for walk two times morning and evening and he really enjoys as this new place has lots of greenery, ponds etc. He watches along as we stroll and then when we return home he has a sound sleep. I never let him down to walk on the ground as I fear for his safety.  Thanks.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the dogs are neighbor's dogs, chances are they have cat buddies at home. Maybe what you are seeing is the local gossip circle.  They could be communicating in Smell and Body language.  As long as there is no growling from the dogs and the cat isn't hissing and laying the ears back and neither try to attack the gate, there should be no problem.

Cats and dogs can be lifelong buddies.  Check out this thread:   www.thecatsite.com/t/244543/pitties-and-their-kitties

I give you this one, because pitbulls have the badly deserved reputation as the biggest cat-haters in the dog kingdom.

Be prepared to go Aaawww.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much catspaw66 and I loved the link that you had sent..It was really wonderful to see all those pics.... I was a bit afraid about the dogs as earlier (my first post on this site) the mom of this male cat was killed by street dogs. But in this case there is no growling from dogs or any sign of attack till now and they just come and sit in front of the gate and lick him. Today they followed us when we are out on walk and all were wagging their tails and were happy to see my male cat on my shoulders though I was in fear as they might jump over him but they did not said anything infact barked at the strangers that passed by. My neighbour Aunt seeing us also called to me loudly from her window and warned me about the dogs following me. She was more concerned about the safety of my cat so she was also nervous but we all are surprised as these dogs dont say anything to my cat...and I hope in future all goes well too. Thanks once again.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are most welcome.  The articles section is a fantastic resource that has been compiled over 13 years from 49,000 members.  It is like having an instruction manual for your cat.

Have someone take a picture of you carrying the cat with the dogs following and post it on here.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks catspaw66 for your message. I will ask someone to take pics..I am posting here one of the pics of my cats sitting near the gate and you can see the small holes below the gate from where my cat draws his hand out to the dogs..The elder male cat is the one who is friend with dogs..the younger male kitten he does not trust the dogs and when the dogs come he runs inside the room. But he watches the older one playing with dogs... I had adopted this second kitten in January and he is now five months old...I had thought this kitten to be a female  (as I was told by the family from where I got this) so that my elder male cat gets a company but soon I found that this kitten is a male too...anyway whether male or female...they are best of friends and now cannot live without each other.....the elder one on the left side in this pic and is not facing the camera is the one who is friends with dogs...here in India people do not like cats and seeing me carrying the cat on my shoulders and talking to my cat on the way while walking some people laugh, some are surprised and to some I answer their queries about cats and tell them that cats are loving animals too.....Will try to post soon more with dogs being poked by him and also dogs following us....Thanks.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice pictures.  I can see what you are saying about the holes to poke at the dogs. Thank you for posting them.  Has the cat ever tried to jump off your shoulder?  He sounds like a very mellow cat.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like all the dogs are sociable with your cats. Since the cats can't get out I wouldn't worry too much. Some of my cats are best friends with the dogs and some just tolerate them LOL. My German shepherd absolutely loves all cats she meets anywhere. 

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Melesine...Yes the cats cannot get out of the gate so not that worried but if by mistake someone opens the gate when cats are around thats what I feel concerned. Love to hear about your German Shepherd...thats really nice that he loves all cats...

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks catspaw66..No my cat never tried to jump off from my shoulder...Infact he enoys and hangs on calmly and watches the street activities...I stop near some tree or bushes and we pluck flowers and grass and he also touches the trees as I turn around him towards the trees. And when we bring those flowers at home he asks me to give it to him and I do that..so he plays with flowers and chews some grass, rolls over and goes off to sleep. Earlier when I had started taking him out he used to feel nervous when some vehicle passed by but what I do is I stop walking at once and stand still holding him so that he does not feel scared..and when the vehicle pass then I start walking again. But now he is used to the sounds of cars, people, trucks, kids. When he sees kids playing in the park he gets excited and wants to play with them and then asks me to put him on the ground but I talk to him and assure him that when we will reach home we will play with the ball and toys and I do play so he is relaxed...Here I am posting few pics which I took yesterday when the dogs arrived at the gate. Also in one of them I am carrying him for walk.. Thanks once again.