my cat has kidney cancer

fred718

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently, my 14.5 year old male tabby cat has lost a lot of weight and displayed a marked decrease in appetite. After going to the vet and running blood work, an x-ray, and an ultrasound, it has been confirmed that my cat has kidney cancer. Needless to say, this has been some pretty devastating news. I was hoping for some advice/insight on a few things.

The cancer appears contained to the left kidney. I am waiting for the vet to get feedback from an oncologist, at which time I will decide on the best course of action. I would be willing to have surgery to remove the left kidney, provided there is a good chance of recovery and good quality of life for whatever time he has left. I don't intend to put my cat through chemo or radiation therapy.

There is another big problem. My cat isn't particularly interested in eating his normal food anymore. The only thing he seems to want are his Pounce treats. I have had him on a dry food diet his entire life (with Welactin and Dasuquin sprinkled on his treats everyday). I have been feeding him ProPlan Weight Management formula for the last 5 years. The vet gave him some Bupranex for pain and an appetite enhancer. He clearly wants to eat, but he just isn't interested in his normal food. I was sprinkling catnip in his food to encourage eating. It did work well at first but not so much, anymore. To be quite frank, the situation is scaring the hell out of me. The vet recommended that I buy some palatable wet food, which I did, but he has no interest in it at all. The vet also said that I could learn to syringe feed him, but I don't see how I can pull that off by myself (I live alone). I remember what a nightmare it was trying to pill him a few years ago. My cat goes ballistic when you try to force him to do something which he doesn't like.

At any rate, here are my questions:

(1) What can I do about my cat's feeding issue?

(2) Has anyone here had a cat with kidney cancer?

(3) How well did your cat recover from the surgery?

(4) How long did your cat live after the surgery?

(5) Did you use any holistic treatments, and, if so, were they effective?

(6) How was your cat's quality of life after the surgery?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

I'm so sorry for this diagnosis.  Is it Adenocarcinoma?  I've done some research for you, and nothing I've found is good unfortunately.  Adenocarcinoma is a rare cancer, and very hard to treat.  Loss of appetite is a symptom, and its often not diagnosed until late, and typically affects older cats.

Other possible appetite stimulants (besides the medication) are certain foods like Hills A/D which is often very tasty to cats, a special prescription diet, something stinky like 9 Lives tuna, or putting dried fish flakes on the food.  If all she will eat right now is treats then treats it is!  The important thing at this moment in time is keeping calories going in, not worrying about a balanced diet so much.  He isn't eating most likely because he doesn't feel well.

Links are below.

http://www.vetinfo.com/feline-kidney-cancer.html

http://www.oncolink.org/experts/article.cfm?id=2204

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cancer/c_ct_adenocarcinoma_renal?page=show

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred718

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply and the research. I had already read all of the links, so I know that it seems a bit grim. I just had a conversation with the vet, and I have decided on a course of action. Since I can't adequately control his food intake at home, I'm going to board him at the vet. They can boost his strength in anticipation for a Friday surgery. The vet feels he has a good chance to survive the surgery. At this point, it's either put him to sleep or surgery, and I'm not ready to give up right now.