My Cat Has Just Passed And I Want To Cremate Her

keirastrathdee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i am new to this site, and i found it because i dont know what to do,
i read that if u want your cat to be cremated u have to put it into a freezer or something cool in the meantime. my cat is wrapped in a plastic bag in the freezer right now (i know it sounds so horrible) im completly beside myself, she was hit by an unkown car yesterday and she died instantly. this is my first cat death i have experience and i dont think i can ever get over this. anyways i want to get her cremated but i live in a really small town that cant do it, im unsure what to do.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think any veterinarian's office would be able to help you. They routinely need the services of a crematorium.

There are at least two cemeteries with their own crematoria near me and both offer pet cremations. We had a number of our pets cremated this way, and handled it ourselves. You might check on this. It could be cheaper if you do it on your own.

Here's a website that explains the process better: How Does Pet Cremation Work? – Cremation Resource

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
K keirastrathdee I'm so very sorry for your loss. It is awful when it is so sudden and I'm sure all our members will feel for you.

You will need to call the nearest vet and ask their advice. If you live in a place with a garden, would you consider a burial instead? I have two of my cats in my garden, respectfully buried, with a special bush or tree planted in their honour and a small rock/plaque.

We have a Crossing the Bridge forum here where members start a thread as a tribute to their friend. You may like to consider that, when and if you feel like it.

Please let us know how you're going.

:rbheart: RIP little one :rbheart:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I'm from, the only way you can have your pet cremated is to go thru a vet. (I tried contacting the local crematoriums, it was a no go) They will store the pets appropriately and then someone comes weekly or bi-weekly (not sure) to pick up any animals (from all the vets offices) and bring them to be cremated. Then they are delivered back to your vet in a box, for you to pick it up after. It can take about 6 weeks before you get your kitty back. That's how it worked for our babies.
Our vets also give you options on what type of cremation you want.
1) group cremation, and they spread the ashes in the nearby field.
2) group cremation, and you get a portion of the ashes back.
3) single cremation (just your kitty), and you get the ashes back.

We opted for the single cremation (3), which of course is the most expensive. If I remember right it was just over $300.

And don't feel weird about storing your kitty in the freezer, we had to do the same thing for one of ours when he passed over a weekend.

I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of your kitty.:alright:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My Pepper was cremated in 2006 when she had to be euthanized. I have her urn/ashes by my bedside. I don't know if they froze the body or not though

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss.

We have our cats cremated when they pass and we keep the ashes. We have to go through our vet.