emoc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, so first of all at this moment in time, i have 3 cats;
basil, 3 years
boris, 6 months
candy, 7/8 years

at this point last year we lost a cat who was essentially basils dad called socks. basil was really upset for a month, and then ended up going missing on dec 27th for 11 days. he came back all loving and was back to normal after this (we think he may have gone looking for socks as we didn't show them his body). this might have something to do with this, added it just in case anyone thinks it does

june this year we got a new kitten, boris and this is when basil started acting up a little.
we've never introduced cats in different ways, just let them naturally see each other, however basil was really aggressive when he first saw boris. they got used to each other eventually and now they play and sleep together. i feel like basil is like a dad to boris, but he's jumpy and just not himself now, contrary to how socks was when he took on the role.

anytime a door would be a little bit open he'd be really nervous and constantly checking to see if anyone will come around, we can't hold him anymore, he just lies there really awkwardly and struggles if you don't let him down.

this could literally just be nothing, but he's never really in a good mood now and im a bit worried.

thanks for reading!

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the door being open do you mean to the outside world? if he has access to windows and can see outside and it is the door that scares him you may have a stray coming around and threatening his territory. he may also feel threatened by the new cat but if they are sleeping together its probably not the case...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emoc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the door being open do you mean to the outside world? if he has access to windows and can see outside and it is the door that scares him you may have a stray coming around and threatening his territory. he may also feel threatened by the new cat but if they are sleeping together its probably not the case...
i didn’t mean the outside door, but when i think about we do have a cat who lives up the road who sometimes comes to steal food and basil tends to sit at the cat flap staring out of it. maybe that’s the issue?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have a cat that has a very hard time with strays in his yard. I've actually thought about getting a sprinkler that is motion censored to keep them out of the yard but it just feels so mean.

emoc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah i’d feel really mean doing that too. i always try to bring him upstairs whenever i see him staring intensely at the cat flap

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it can be hard to deal with. Ninja does spray because of the strays we are working with him to try to build his confidence so he doesn't feel threatened by the neighborhood cats but he is a difficult one.

emoc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
to be fair the cat that comes to ours has a family and gets fed tons so it’s probably just a lil chubby thing that wants more food. thanks for bringing this up!