My cat has cancer ( Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there is definitely a point where even strong drugs won't help. You have to remember that it's not just the tumor - he is very unwell all over his body. Not eating is a symptom of how unwell he is.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
@Abbas Altake  please understand that you definitely don't want your boy to get to the point he has breathing troubles. I've loved and lost more pets than I can count throughout my life, and all too often we waited and waited until we had to take them in and have them put to sleep in an emergency situation. That is not the way you want to remember your baby - please, trust me on this. 

You are in my thoughts right now, as is your little baby. Just know that many of us have been in your position and do understand and relate. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank u for kind word!  Im very noobish when cat has cancer.. This my first cat that have cancer.. So I thought the breathing problem would not be as bad but I was pretty wrong... It is phase when cat suffers a lot..  I trust you but it is wrong to keep my cat alive if the pain Medicine  increase his quality of life? I really dont know what to do.. I really dont want be selfish and keep my cat alive while he is in pain..   What makes this is so hard for me is that I lived with my cat Middle childhood  to the adulthood and im now 25 years old.. Its very hard because hes my  long time family member! I know that cat does not live a long and every cat owner is going to experience this but its still hard and im very sensitive person.. Its like if some important human family member has died from my family..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for both of you that you're going through this. Here is just my opinion - if your cat is sleeping a lot and not eating and has an obvious, painful tumor, his quality of life is already not great. If stronger pain meds will make him sleep all the time or have other side effects, I'm not sure that it's worth it. He will likely not be comfortable still.

I would have an honest conversation with your vet about medication options and what to expect as he continues to decline. That way you can make an educated decision about when it's time.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually my cat does not sleep a lot.. He is active.. I think mostly because he drinks a lot of water and goes for peeing in litter box a lot of time... He also grooms a lot... ...  His appetite has decreased in 1-2 two days and he has lost weight..My cat has hard at pooping.. The poop is small and sometimes it stick in is butt furr.. I might be little bit delusion about his sore in his paw because i tried touch it again but didint not react much... It might be some other part that are painful. The little wound looks dry out..  When he was with metacam treatment now has been one month's.. The side effect weren't bad..I really thought these problem was due to metacam but it was not... It might be the both cancer and hyperthyroid because we havent  gave him hyp pills for 2-3 days mostly because lack of apetite.. Two days ago I did only give him one pill because he did eat some dry food few time.. Im going to call today  for the vet and  I really hope there is some other treatment chance  that can increase my cat quality of life.. 

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right in saying it is quality of life that is now important. And I know what you mean by him being a family member. But you need to think about what he would want if he could tell you. If he is merely going through the motions of living, eating, pooping (and from that you say those functions are decreasing), and is in great pain most if not all of the time, then the time has come to do the kindest and most loving thing you can ever do for your companion, and that is to let him go in peace. too often we hang on, and then eventually realise we are doing it for us, not for them. But it is very hard, and however many pets you go on to have, it never gets any easier. Talk honestly with your vet and with any family and friends you are close to, and come to a decision. And also remember, cats are programmed not to show pain, so when one does, then you can be sure that it is very bad. Thinking of you at this difficult time.:vibes:

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whe did call the vet and it seems there is not much option than entusiasm.. Not sure why they did not offer higher medicine but I think this is the best option that I can now offer.. Im gonna miss my cat so much.. Im crying load.. 

Thank u JennyR and everyone else who helped me in difficulty time!

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can  entusiasm  him today or wait 6 today because the holiday started.. Should entusiasm him soon as possible?

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a terrible decision to have to take at the start of the holiday season. But I think if it were me then I would do it today. Of course you will cry, but you will smile through the tears because he will no longer be suffering. If you wait 6 days then you may watch him get worse every day, knowing you could have put him to rest peacefully. As I said in an earlier post, many people (including me) have regretted not doing it earlier. At the very end of a cat's life, when you know there is nothing to be done to help, it is better to go a day or two earlier than live longer in pain and misery. And only you have the power to do that for someone who has been a faithful and loving friend. I am crying just thinking about it. I am so sorry for you, but I do think it would be best. The vets have obviously not given you anything stronger because they know it would not really help. Medicine, human or animal, cannot always find another solution.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank u! :( 3 hours we are gonna   entusiasm  :(( Im crying.. It soo hard 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shall be thinking of you. I know how hard it is, the last time this happened to me was almost exactly a year ago, after my Cinders had a stroke. I shall always remember that at the very end, as the vet was preparing her for the injection, she reached up to me and touched my nose as I cuddled her. I think she was saying to me that she trusted me to make the right decision for her, that she knew I had her welfare at heart, and she was comforting me. We have very strong bonds with our pets and I believe they often know what we are thinking and feeling. You are doing the right thing.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's beautiful  and thank u for telling your experience l! After  seeming right now he feels like he cannot live anymore.. He is so tired.. His eyes are half open.. When stroke him hes making sound of crying of pain slowly.. Super tired  cat.. It feels like he would accept this more than pain... His current life is just drinking water and peeing in litter box and sleeping.. That does not seems like a quality of life anymore... He is losing weight like a crazy.. I can even feel his bones..

Last edited:

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We tried to give him raw salmon and he did eat just one small piece and that was it. His last meal... 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of good thoughts for all of you. You're making the right decision.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm crying with you right now. I went through this with my boy Lucky last month and unfortunately, knowing it's the right thing to do doesn't make it any easier right now. But, it will, when some time has passed. Trust me 

Cuddle with your little boy and just love him as much as you can right now. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You often hear people saying that you will know when it is the time, that your cat will tell you. I think that is what is happening now, however much he loves you, he does not want to be here any longer, he has had enough of pain and suffering. Spend this time with him, love him as much as you can and as he wants.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest in peace my beautiful Tuxedo cat named BishBish.. It was most hearth breaking thing I have  experience in my whole life. He was so stressed in taxi and made painful sound that I never heard before..  We did wait little before entusiasm.. He was resting in grass and he liked it..  He started to watch us when it was time of entusiasm and I kissed him 100 before let go.... My hearth is broken for 1000 pieces now.. He loved humans more than cats... I miss  him so much already...

He was boy cat and 18 years old..

This is old pic and not recent.. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lkxruh.jpg

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: Many hugs to you at this terrible time. Rest in peace BishBish. :rbheart: He had a good long life with you and you stood by him at the end. No-one can ask for more. It will take a long time, but eventually you will remember the good times more than the bad, and find comfort in that. I hope you are able to relax over the holiday season, and will not be too stressed. I am sure people will understand. I am not joining in Christmas this year as I lost my beloved horse four weeks ago, very suddenly of a blood clot, and I could not bear to be around lots of people right now. My family and friends have been very understanding in not trying to force me to join in. I hope yours will be too, and let you take things at your own pace. You can always come on here to talk - because we are world-wide you can be sure of finding someone who understands at any hour of the day or night.

After a few hours have passed I will close this thread as a mark of respect. When you feel ready, please do think of starting a thread about Bish Bish on the Crossing the Bridge forum, where other members can also add comments and tributes. It often helps to write things down.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Rest in peace my beautiful Tuxedo cat named BishBish.. It was most hearth breaking thing I have  experience in my whole life. He was so stressed in taxi and made painful sound that I never heard before..  We did wait little before entusiasm.. He was resting in grass and he liked it..  He started to watch us when it was time of entusiasm and I kissed him 100 before let go.... My hearth is broken for 1000 pieces now.. He loved humans more than cats... I miss  him so much already...

He was boy cat and 18 years old..

This is old pic and not recent.. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lkxruh.jpg
What a beautiful boy.  I'm so sorry for your loss, you did the right thing, the final gift you could give him.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shall now close this post in respect for BishBish.:rbheart:

Please accept the condolences of the Moderation Team for your loss. We hope that in due course you will open a thread for him on the Bridge Forum, where you can tell us more about him and what he meant to you, and members can post their tributes. ANd if you need help or want to exchange thoughts about him that is the place to do it.:vibes::vibes: for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.