My cat has been pottying everywhere after recovering from Panleukopenia Virus

Maruru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got infected with the virus a while ago. Now that she has recovered, I've noticed certain behaviour changes in her. I'm very concerned for her since she has been pottying all over the place and she also over-grooms herself to the point where her fur becomes stiff. Does this indicate any serious health problems? Thank you!!

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat got infected with the virus a while ago. Now that she has recovered, I've noticed certain behaviour changes in her. I'm very concerned for her since she has been pottying all over the place and she also over-grooms herself to the point where her fur becomes stiff. Does this indicate any serious health problems? Thank you!!
I would contact my vet 1st. Inappropriate Urination could be a sign of a urinary tract infection. And considering her immune system has been impaired, I would get that ruled out to make sure you’re not ignoring the obvious. Has her skin been checked for any kind of external parasite. Like mange anything like that. A dinged immune system can allow something that is normally there to flourish. Any possibility she picked up a flea? You may be thinking of course not, my cat never been exposed but if she went to the vet, they can pick a flea there and you can actually bring it to a flea on your pant leg from the outside. Comb her thoroughly with a fine tooth flea comb and if you see any black flecks (or live fleas) put the flecks on a white tissue or paper towel and get them a little bit wet, rub it with your finger and if it appears pink at all, that is digested blood. that is how you tell flea dirt from regular plain old dirt. If you think you’ve ruled that out, contact your vet that is your first step I think. I’m glad she recovered!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maruru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would contact my vet 1st. Inappropriate Urination could be a sign of a urinary tract infection. And considering her immune system has been impaired, I would get that ruled out to make sure you’re not ignoring the obvious. Has her skin been checked for any kind of external parasite. Like mange anything like that. A dinged immune system can allow something that is normally there to flourish. Any possibility she picked up a flea? You may be thinking of course not, my cat never been exposed but if she went to the vet, they can pick a flea there and you can actually bring it to a flea on your pant leg from the outside. Comb her thoroughly with a fine tooth flea comb and if you see any black flecks (or live fleas) put the flecks on a white tissue or paper towel and get them a little bit wet, rub it with your finger and if it appears pink at all, that is digested blood. that is how you tell flea dirt from regular plain old dirt. If you think you’ve ruled that out, contact your vet that is your first step I think. I’m glad she recovered!
At first i didn't think it was a big deal, but now I'll make sure to check for fleas and get her to an appointment at the vet next thing in the morning. Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it!!