My cat has been missing for three nights in a snowstorm. Is he okay?

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 year old indoor-outdoor male (neutered) cat Frankie went outside to potty Sunday night and hasn’t returned. It’s Wednesday morning. I figured he would come right back in like he always does. It has been snowing since mid-Sunday night after I let him out. The temperatures are in single digits and the wind chill is below zero. This is the biggest storm we’ve had this winter so far. I had no idea it was going to snow like this or I wouldn’t have let him out. I’ve looked everywhere, tried everything. I’ve walked around the neighborhood and called his name everyday, shook treats, opened food, asked neighbors. No one has seen or heard from him. He doesn’t like strangers so I don’t think he would let anyone take him in. I don’t know what to do. I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else? Was your cat okay? Do you think my cat is okay? I miss him so much. I’m worried sick. Attached is a picture of my sweet boy.

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say keep doing your walks. In that cold, he would've tried to tuck himself away somewhere warm. Did you call nearby shelters too?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with K Kris107 . Keep walking and looking for him, calling him, etc. Set his litter box outside near your door to help lure him back. Odds are, he's holed up somewhere in this weather. I hope he returns, and soon. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say keep doing your walks. In that cold, he would've tried to tuck himself away somewhere warm. Did you call nearby shelters too?
Yes I called the nearby humane society and no one has dropped him off.. they said they would make a lost ad for me though. Thanks for replying!!

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with K Kris107 . Keep walking and looking for him, calling him, etc. Set his litter box outside near your door to help lure him back. Odds are, he's holed up somewhere in this weather. I hope he returns, and soon. ❤
Okay, I walked the whole neighborhood again this morning. Looked underneath houses, knocked on doors to see if anyone had seen him. I set his litter box out and wet food all around the house as well as a few pieces of my worn/dirty clothes. I hope this brings him home. Thanks for the reply and advice. ❤

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Repeat with the neighbors, and if any of them have kids ask if it would be OK to solicit the kids to act as lookouts. Most kids would love to take on the challenge to help find a lost cat. Making flyers, with a pic, and your contact information,
for them and their families would be helpful too. Just include instructions about whether or not they should try to approach him if they spot him.

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Repeat with the neighbors, and if any of them have kids ask if it would be OK to solicit the kids to act as lookouts. Most kids would love to take on the challenge to help find a lost cat. Making flyers, with a pic, and your contact information,
for them and their families would be helpful too. Just include instructions about whether or not they should try to approach him if they spot him.
Thank you for the advice but there are no kids in the neighborhood. It’s very small and rural. Mostly retired folks. I go back to work tomorrow so I will make missing posters then. Thanks again for replying.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi jocelynsummer jocelynsummer and a very warm welcome to the forum !

Given what you've said about the demographics of your neighbourhood and, if it were me, I would go door to door, canvassing every household. Make sure to keep a record so you can eventually know everyone has been visited. Bringing a picture and leaving a "calling card" with your contact info with every resident will mean you'll have an army of observers looking for you. And, "older folks" will be more likely attentive and diligent about this - that's a huge bonus for you. Older people are more likely to take in an animal too (perhaps this has happened). IF he's microchipped, I don't think I'd be broadcasting that - if anything untoward's going on, that might deter a perp from getting Vet care.

If there are any local stores/shops/businesses, visit and ask them to post one of your posters. If there are customers/others present, make sure they all hear your message.

There are animal rescue groups that operate 'under thee radar'. Try Googling exactly this: "cat rescue in (your town/location)" and then begin contacting them. Small organizations are often over-worked and so, difficult to reach. Again, keeping records will ensure you've reached them all.

After your immediate neighbourhood has been covered, begin expanding the perimeter of your search area so you're covering every property with human activity on it. Barns often have cats around.

I would also contact Vet clinics in your wider area. Again, a personal visit with pictures is best and 'broadcast' to waiting customers.

Is there a local/"community newspaper" (they're often just small flyers these days) that's received around there? (you can also ask about this as you visit houses) If so, see if they'll accept a missing cat ad.

WHEW!

Can you enlist anyone else - friends/family - to help? I wonder if there might be a seniors group in your area, willing to take on a project - you can ask as you canvas the neighbourhood.

I think I'm out of ideas. Do keep us updated - we'll be thinking of you. And, remain positive.....the number of cats who turn up is remarkable!

Fifty years ago I went through a similar experience......it still resonates with me today.

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi jocelynsummer jocelynsummer and a very warm welcome to the forum !

Given what you've said about the demographics of your neighbourhood and, if it were me, I would go door to door, canvassing every household. Make sure to keep a record so you can eventually know everyone has been visited. Bringing a picture and leaving a "calling card" with your contact info with every resident will mean you'll have an army of observers looking for you. And, "older folks" will be more likely attentive and diligent about this - that's a huge bonus for you. Older people are more likely to take in an animal too (perhaps this has happened). IF he's microchipped, I don't think I'd be broadcasting that - if anything untoward's going on, that might deter a perp from getting Vet care.

If there are any local stores/shops/businesses, visit and ask them to post one of your posters. If there are customers/others present, make sure they all hear your message.

There are animal rescue groups that operate 'under thee radar'. Try Googling exactly this: "cat rescue in (your town/location)" and then begin contacting them. Small organizations are often over-worked and so, difficult to reach. Again, keeping records will ensure you've reached them all.

After your immediate neighbourhood has been covered, begin expanding the perimeter of your search area so you're covering every property with human activity on it. Barns often have cats around.

I would also contact Vet clinics in your wider area. Again, a personal visit with pictures is best and 'broadcast' to waiting customers.

Is there a local/"community newspaper" (they're often just small flyers these days) that's received around there? (you can also ask about this as you visit houses) If so, see if they'll accept a missing cat ad.

WHEW!

Can you enlist anyone else - friends/family - to help? I wonder if there might be a seniors group in your area, willing to take on a project - you can ask as you canvas the neighbourhood.

I think I'm out of ideas. Do keep us updated - we'll be thinking of you. And, remain positive.....the number of cats who turn up is remarkable!

Fifty years ago I went through a similar experience......it still resonates with me today.

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for being so helpful!

UPDATE: Frankie is found! My neighbor found cat paw print marks in the snow leading to underneath her house. She went to investigate and turns out my cat was there! She coaxed him out and brought him home. He wasn’t even cold! He came in and acted like nothing happened! I’m so thankful!
Thank you guys for all the good wishes and advice! This really helped!❤

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

UPDATE: Frankie is found! My neighbor found cat paw print marks in the snow leading to underneath her house. She went to investigate and turns out my cat was there! She coaxed him out and brought him home. He wasn’t even cold! He came in and acted like nothing happened! I’m so thankful!
This is so awesome! I'm so happy for you both and bless that neighbor for helping you!!

Oreo1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This thread is so uplifting, I’m so glad your boy is okay. Congrats ❤

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soooooooo happy for you both. Funny that this scenario is extremely common (staying close to home, therefore the need to first scour the property with a fine-tooth comb!).......but, none of us here even mentioned that! :lol:

jocelynsummer jocelynsummer - if he's not microchipped, consider getting that. And, consider more 'supervision' for his 'outhouse' excursions, perhaps a harness, but some form of direct supervision/control. We cannot leave their safety in their paws.

Hope you might stick around or at least stay attached. It's a wonderful place for all-things-CAT !

jocelynsummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soooooooo happy for you both. Funny that this scenario is extremely common (staying close to home, therefore the need to first scour the property with a fine-tooth comb!).......but, none of us here even mentioned that! :lol:

jocelynsummer jocelynsummer - if he's not microchipped, consider getting that. And, consider more 'supervision' for his 'outhouse' excursions, perhaps a harness, but some form of direct supervision/control. We cannot leave their safety in their paws.

Hope you might stick around or at least stay attached. It's a wonderful place for all-things-CAT !
I definitely will be keeping a closer eye on him when we go outside. I don’t think he will want to go out until spring, anyways!
I will also consider microchipping all three of my cats. This forum was so supportive and for that I’ll be around. Thanks again! 😊

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaand exhale! Every cat I’ve ever had was indoor/outdoor, but I am very glad I chose to make my last cat indoor only as he got older. Too many wild factors Out There. White Shadow is right, though: there are many threads on here about leash walking your cat, catios, or even covered baby buggies made for cats! That they love! (Go figure). Sometimes I think cats are testing our love for them, when they go on a walkabout. So relieved this had a happy ending.