My Cat Has Been Diagnosed With Chf

Kabool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C8EA68AA-DBB2-40F6-B8EB-751F0A79FF46.jpeg
my lovely male cat Kabool is 3 years and 4 months old, yesterday he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, I couldn’t hold my tears when the doctor told me, I started crying badly as I didn’t expect that at all.
It all started 3 days ago, before he seemed to be absolutely normal and playful, the it started he came to my bed once I woke up and laid down next to my neck which he has been doing every day for the last 2 weeks, after than he jumped down off the bed and laid down on the floor, I noticed that he was drooling which is unusual. I went to work that dayand when I came back at night, he seemed to be normal just not as active, I put his wet food for him and gave him his favorite meat stick which he ate but didn’t eat his wet food meal, he didn’t seem like he wanted to play as he’s usually very playful especially when I come back from work, but I thought he may not be in the mood to play, he jumped into my closet and that is where he started to sleep lately and he left his tower by the window about 2 months ago and never sat on it ( he used to love spending his whole time sitting on that tower as he’s indoor cat only and that’s the only view he gets when I leave home), I got Kabool when he was just 28 days old and he’s been my whole life since then, he is my baby. Returning to the story, that night and after he went into my closet one hour later he jumped down and was unstable and fell down and was meowing loadly for a couple time and then he was pretty quiet for the rest of the night. The next morning I rushed him to the vet clinic, they did some blood work and told that nothing looks suspicious and asked to keep an eye on him for the next couple days andto rush him to the hospital if I notice any signs again. We went back home and he was super quite but didn’t seem to be in any pain. I was sleeping on and off that night as I was very worried. I woke up the next morning and as I was leaving my bed he was laying down on the dining table and once he saw me he started meowing very loadly and his breath was going very rapidly, I rushed him to the 24 emergency pet hospital and with x rays, I was informed that my little baby is in an advanced congestive heart failure, I started crying and didn’t know what to say or do. The doctor asked me if I want them to do the chest tap to get some of that fluid out to help himbreath better or to put him to sleep, I refused to put him to sleep and asked her to do the chest tap which costed an arm and a leg. He was feeling better after that and the doctor recommend visiting a cardiologist soon. Now He started his medicine journey, I am so depressed and scared. I took unpaid time off work and every time I look at him I cry so badly, this broke my heart, I am not ready to lose him, I don’t know how far he’s going to make it and how much this is going to cost after all, so far it costed me 1400$ in 2 days which I can’t afford, but I used the credit card. It’s very hard to make such decisions. I will do anything to have him live a comfortable life for the rest of days he has left. I hate waiting the unknown and this is making me sick, I can’t stop thinking about it and haven’t eaten anything since I heard that news. He’s doing just fine now but still not the same crazy cat He used to be, it hurts a lot when I think that he may be in pain but hiding it, he acts like if he knows what is going and like if he knows he’s not gonna make it. I want to stay strong for him but I can’t hold my tears when I see him laying down on the floor very quietly. I hope all of you guys are doing well and for those who lost their beloved ones, very sorry for you loss. Sorry for the long story but I had no one to share my story with

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
View attachment 253274 my lovely male cat Kabool is 3 years and 4 months old, yesterday he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, I couldn’t hold my tears when the doctor told me, I started crying badly as I didn’t expect that at all.
It all started 3 days ago, before he seemed to be absolutely normal and playful, the it started he came to my bed once I woke up and laid down next to my neck which he has been doing every day for the last 2 weeks, after than he jumped down off the bed and laid down on the floor, I noticed that he was drooling which is unusual. I went to work that dayand when I came back at night, he seemed to be normal just not as active, I put his wet food for him and gave him his favorite meat stick which he ate but didn’t eat his wet food meal, he didn’t seem like he wanted to play as he’s usually very playful especially when I come back from work, but I thought he may not be in the mood to play, he jumped into my closet and that is where he started to sleep lately and he left his tower by the window about 2 months ago and never sat on it ( he used to love spending his whole time sitting on that tower as he’s indoor cat only and that’s the only view he gets when I leave home), I got Kabool when he was just 28 days old and he’s been my whole life since then, he is my baby. Returning to the story, that night and after he went into my closet one hour later he jumped down and was unstable and fell down and was meowing loadly for a couple time and then he was pretty quiet for the rest of the night. The next morning I rushed him to the vet clinic, they did some blood work and told that nothing looks suspicious and asked to keep an eye on him for the next couple days andto rush him to the hospital if I notice any signs again. We went back home and he was super quite but didn’t seem to be in any pain. I was sleeping on and off that night as I was very worried. I woke up the next morning and as I was leaving my bed he was laying down on the dining table and once he saw me he started meowing very loadly and his breath was going very rapidly, I rushed him to the 24 emergency pet hospital and with x rays, I was informed that my little baby is in an advanced congestive heart failure, I started crying and didn’t know what to say or do. The doctor asked me if I want them to do the chest tap to get some of that fluid out to help himbreath better or to put him to sleep, I refused to put him to sleep and asked her to do the chest tap which costed an arm and a leg. He was feeling better after that and the doctor recommend visiting a cardiologist soon. Now He started his medicine journey, I am so depressed and scared. I took unpaid time off work and every time I look at him I cry so badly, this broke my heart, I am not ready to lose him, I don’t know how far he’s going to make it and how much this is going to cost after all, so far it costed me 1400$ in 2 days which I can’t afford, but I used the credit card. It’s very hard to make such decisions. I will do anything to have him live a comfortable life for the rest of days he has left. I hate waiting the unknown and this is making me sick, I can’t stop thinking about it and haven’t eaten anything since I heard that news. He’s doing just fine now but still not the same crazy cat He used to be, it hurts a lot when I think that he may be in pain but hiding it, he acts like if he knows what is going and like if he knows he’s not gonna make it. I want to stay strong for him but I can’t hold my tears when I see him laying down on the floor very quietly. I hope all of you guys are doing well and for those who lost their beloved ones, very sorry for you loss. Sorry for the long story but I had no one to share my story with
It's always heartbreaking whenever one of our furbabies is diagnosed with anything chronic :hugs:. Believe me, I know. I've never had one with CHF, but have had three with chronic kidney disease, which also has no cure.

Is your little Kabool now on medication, like some sort of diuretic to keep the fluids from building up? I believe that's the norm. And have you heard of Care Credit? It's a great way to help pay for pet medical expenses. I'm pretty sure the interest rates are better than a "regular" credit card.

And remember, you've got to take care of yourself, like eat, so that you can take care of him :alright:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kabool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's always heartbreaking whenever one of our furbabies is diagnosed with anything chronic :hugs:. Believe me, I know. I've never had one with CHF, but have had three with chronic kidney disease, which also has no cure.

Is your little Kabool now on medication, like some sort of diuretic to keep the fluids from building up? I believe that's the norm. And have you heard of Care Credit? It's a great way to help pay for pet medical expenses. I'm pretty sure the interest rates are better than a "regular" credit card.

And remember, you've got to take care of yourself, like eat, so that you can take care of him :alright:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Yes, he started his medication yesterday after the chest tap. He’s doing just fine right now, still very quiet though. I haven’t heared of the care credit, I will absolutely use that. Thank you so much those words are helping a lot especially from people who went through the same tragedy..

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he started his medication yesterday after the chest tap. He’s doing just fine right now, still very quiet though. I haven’t heared of the care credit, I will absolutely use that. Thank you so much those words are helping a lot especially from people who went through the same tragedy..
Be sure and check Care Credit interest rate they charge, it may be higher than your regular credit card.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone in this. I'm going thru the exact same thing at this very moment. :( And had my fair share of breakdowns. It's not easy, you just want to do what's right for them and keep them comfortable. :sniffle: We just had our little guy's chest drained for the second time late last week and unfortunately, he's not recovering as well as we had hoped, like the first time, about three months ago, when he was diagnosed. And on top of that our eldest cat is heading to end stage kidney failure. I don't know if I can handle losing 2 at the same time. Here's hoping that Hank (CHF) is just being stubborn, like he usually is :rolleyes3::p, and will improve like the first time.:catrub:

I hope your little one does well with the medications and bounces back.
I'm thinking of you and Kabool. :alright::heartshape: