My Cat Has Anemia? What To Do?

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may be a bit of a long post. We took our indoor/outdoor cat to the vet the other day and her physical exam checked out perfectly however there has been quite a bit of weight loss. This past winter our cat got pretty fat at 15 pounds (was 13-14ish pounds about a year and a half ago) and ate a lot of food. However come spring time until now she has spent a lot of time outside running around with the neighbor cat and is much more active because of him. Now she weighs 11 pounds and looks pretty slim but not unhealthy looking. The vet we saw was concerned with this and did a blood test. Nothing came back positive such as diabetes and thyroid disease. However, they did notice a drop in red blood cells but didn't state any exact numbers which led them to believe she may have anemia.

She eats plenty of food and drinks a normal amount of water. Sleeps/plays during the day and roams around constantly at night because of the cooler weather. The vet that saw her said that her gums looked normal and didn't mention anything about pale gums.... I am stumped because I really thought this weight loss was from her being active. Another problem that she does have was that when the pollen was really bad in the spring/early summer she itched her face quite a bit but has gotten better as the pollen has subsided. The vet is running one more test and will get back in touch later today.

They would also like to do a stool test but being an outdoor cat, she goes to the bathroom outside and prefers to hide while doing so, so getting a sample may be close to impossible. What do you all think about this??? She hasn't been acting weird or anything out of the ordinary but it does concern me that the vet is concerned and makes me feel uneasy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, frequent trips to the vet maybe out of hand as it s veryyy stressful on our cat but we will do whatever we have to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We feed her fancy feat (various flavors), and some party dry mix, and some T/D Dental treats... Could it be a dietary issue?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not certain exactly what I think about this. I'd really like to know those blood levels. If her gums are nice and pink, there isn't much of a drop yet. I doubt that this is strictly dietary. That would be unusual, given what you are telling us. Is she eating as much as normal? Activity levels still good?

There are just so danged many causes for anemia in cats, from heavy parasite infestations (both fleas/ticks and worms) to the serious problems, such as leukemia.

I'm hoping that your vet is just being cautious about your cat's health. PLEASE let us know what he says!

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So our cats pcv levels last year were 40% and now they are at 31%. They suggested an ultrasound but I know already our cat will hate it tremendously.

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice at all from anyone?

itskari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I treated my cats anemia in a rather strange way.. I fed him raw kidneys and livers. His anemia wasn't very bad, but that helped within a month or so.
Good luck with your cat, I wish you two the best :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Normal packed cell volume is 30% (according to some sources 35%) - 45%. Since your cat's level has dropped, it would probably be advisable to pursue the matter before the anemia becomes severe. There are a lot of possible causes, e.g., tick-borne diseases like hemobartonellosis or ehrlichiosis, which require antibiotics.

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input. The vet is calling tomorrow to discuss our options. Our number 1 thing to do would be to test her stool. But being a mainly outdoor cat it is extremely hard to do since we don't know where she goes to the bathroom. We have seen her in the neighbor's yard before but also she goes out a lot at night. Any tips?

Also, could this whole thing be due to the fact that she doesn't eat nearly as much in hot weather? We have had an extremely hot summer recently and up until a few months ago she was plump and eating tons of food. Also, when we had her blood tested last year it was right at the beginning of spring, when she was 15lbs. We have never had her tested in the summer before.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you get a fecal loop from the vet to get a stool sample yourself? It would be enough to test for blood and get a look with the microscope. Better than nothing.

spartcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They did test her blood and noticed a drop in PCV, but that was it. I will ask about the loop tomorrow!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us posted. And the feeding idea is not a bad one at all, but in conjuntion with finding the source of this, not instead of.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about a product called Red Cell. I've used it on numerous occasions and find it's worth it's weight in gold.
Also, double check the kidneys.