My cat has a UTI and crystals in his urine.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this website as well. The food that I have him on now is Hills S/D and then I have to move on to Hills C/D. Both of them are dry. Do these foods have a high magnesium level? Also does Purina Indoor Formula have a lot of Magnesium, because before I had found he was forming crystals in his urine and had UTI, he was eating PIF. If I keep him on the dry food prescription diet, is he more likely not to develop a UTI again and crystals? Or if I switch him to wet food will that help prevent those two things even more than the dry?
The Hills script diets are specifically formulated to meet each diagnoses. This link will go over all the Hill's Rx plans: http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/prod...=1177087463750

The Purina Indoor formula (http://www.catchowindoor.com/products_4.aspx) doesnt' read too impressively, especially in light of recent recall scares (though not on the recall list at this time, I believe). I cannot decipher the mag levels off the link, but maybe another poster (Sharky?) may see this and reply.

I think if you are comfortable with that food you can certainly rotate it but I would like to see a more whole food plan, more wet foods, and food geared toward urinary tract health.

I actually have used the Purina One Urinary Tract formula with great success for a couple years. http://www.purinaone.com/products_cat_uth.asp

but you can see there are other questionable grains on there to worry about now. Cats just don't need a lot of extra processed grains.

Both magnesium and ash are key in uti health and I believe the recommended uti % are:

ASH: (5.5% to 4.5%)
MAGNESIUM: (0.095% to 0.08%)

According to this vet, best = less than 0.12%

http://www.petplace.com/cats/best-lo...ood/page1.aspx

The thing is, you want a 'whole' approach. You want to incorporate as much wet food as possible, and a high degree of wet. You want to use a mid to premium range cat food, and watch the mag levels. Many say ideal for urinary tract health. They don't necessarily HAVE to unless a pet is diagnosed with FLUTD....(not to confuse you more) but it's best to just feed a high quality diet regardless. Encourage water drinking (have afew water stations available, toss in ice cubes now and then....) Cat foods with fish tend to be high in mag too.

And certainly, use the vet's recommendations with the Hill's script diet. I still use both c/d dry and canned. My only suggestion is to look at the whole approach, again. That way you cover all your bases.

And believe it or not, stress can affect urinary tract health so note if your cat has any stressors.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's sort of funny--

All the talk about transitioning to wet foods. My cats were more dry fed so whenever they got a can, they didnt' care *WHAT* it was. If it was wet and had funky wet cat food smell, they were all over it. So a cat not taking to wet food is just ALIEN to me

It's DRY food that gives me headaches. I am actually transitioning to a higher wet food ratio. So you can imagine my cats are grinning like, well...cheshire cats about THAT.

Not sure if Beandip mentioned this...but it can be helpful to warm up the wet food. On a plate you can just warm it or warm the can in hot water for a moment.

Again, my cats would gnaw at a frozen chunk of wet food. They dont' care, lol. But some are temp sensitive (texture sensitive, smell sensitive, etc...etc...etc...etc...etc..

reneei21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Ive been on the search to get my cats PH level correct and to never again have him go through a catherization.

Freddie was first diagnosed with Struvite crystal 3 years ago, I put him on the prescription CD ISO Dry along with wet food, bad move.

My advise to everyone out there are 2 very important things..... A water fountain and WET food always.

Dry no mater what type will cause inflammation and crystals most likely will occur, because cats don't drink enough water, even if your cat does drink a lot its still never enough.

I give Freddie Cosequin, leaks no more by Homeopet, Biotic PH form Wysong and Culturelle powder probiotics, he his doing good, and there have been no more issues, except he leaks urine on occasion, that is why I give him leaks no more and it works great.

reneei21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS.....I now also add ground organic raw chicken and he loves it, even my other cats are eating a more raw diet.