My cat has a tumor. How do I know when it’s time to put her down?

Cicileigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year around March/April we noticed my cat was getting fatter and by about September she looked like she was pregnant although she had been spayed. Took her to the vet and turned out she had a tumor. We could not afford the surgery that it would take to try to remove it (if even possible) but the vet told us as long as she didn’t seem like her quality of life was declining, then she could make it for a while longer without having to put her down. Well, it is obviously June now, but besides her becoming quite large on her stomach area (which makes her waddle when she walks) she doesn’t act much different. Still eats well, still pees and poops (many times outside of the litter box but usually only if it’s a little dirty) still drinks plenty of water and loves to be cuddled and pet. I have noticed her becoming a little needier. She follows me around and meows and begs for more attention. I hate to think that she may be in pain and I don’t know it, but also hate the idea of just putting her down before I need to. Advice please!! She is my baby and I hate not knowing what’s best for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above! This tumor might be benign, or it could be cyst related and possibly eligible for aspiration. What tests did the vet do to determine it was a tumor? At any rate, get copies of all her records from the current vet to share with a second opinion. The preference is to find another vet within a different practice to avoid colleague bias. Her records might help to reduce redundant testing and associated costs, and will definitely help get the new vet 'up to speed' on your baby.

How old is your girl? Sometimes, neediness comes with aging. So, it might not have anything to do with the tumor or pain. And, if giving her attention helps to quell her meows, then it wouldn't seem to be pain related either. While there is no absolute way to know for sure whether or not she has some pain, generally speaking if there is pain you would probably see it in her eating habits, if she is bothered by being touched on certain parts of her body, as well as how she carries herself (not related to the tumor growth). The very fact you are not seeing much change in how she acts, also suggests it is less likely that she is in pain.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year around March/April we noticed my cat was getting fatter and by about September she looked like she was pregnant although she had been spayed. Took her to the vet and turned out she had a tumor. We could not afford the surgery that it would take to try to remove it (if even possible) but the vet told us as long as she didn’t seem like her quality of life was declining, then she could make it for a while longer without having to put her down. Well, it is obviously June now, but besides her becoming quite large on her stomach area (which makes her waddle when she walks) she doesn’t act much different. Still eats well, still pees and poops (many times outside of the litter box but usually only if it’s a little dirty) still drinks plenty of water and loves to be cuddled and pet. I have noticed her becoming a little needier. She follows me around and meows and begs for more attention. I hate to think that she may be in pain and I don’t know it, but also hate the idea of just putting her down before I need to. Advice please!! She is my baby and I hate not knowing what’s best for her.
If you don’t even know for sure it is cancerous etc. why would you pts? I would get another opinion and find a low cost dvm. After a year I would expect she might have deteriorated a lot if it were really cancer with no treatments.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If I am reading this correctly, it was about March/April of 2020 when this started. That is a long time for a cat to survive with a cancerous tumor....not that I have any way of saying that it is or is not cancer. I would definitely get a second opinion. If money is tight or you are concerned about putting the cat through a lot of testing, tell the new vet that you need to have the most expedient diagnosis possible....one that will tell you the most possible about what this is.

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IF it's a tumor - it sounds like benign. Benign tumors tend to grow much larger than malignant tumors. Very unlikely it's malignant if her health status remains the same. That being said, a benign tumor MAY effect your cat's quality of life - ex: pain. But in the end - I would get a 2nd opinion.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For me, it would be when she stops eating, or just wants to hide and stops sleeping in her favourite spots. I believe that is a pretty good sign that things aren't going right and she is no longer comfortable.

Some great suggestions above for further testing, but if you don't want to put her through more of that, or can't for personal reasons, then that's ok too.

I knew it was time for my older cat to Cross the Bridge when he started sleeping under our cars and wouldn't get up even when the car was started up and begun to move. He wasn't eating much anymore and wanted to do nothing but sleep.

Whatever you decide, I send my best wishes to you and to her.