My cat has a bump on the base of her tail

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for all the questions, but maybe more information would be helpful. Does it cause any pain to be touched? Does her tail droop as a result of it? You say it is not a lump or a growth - how are you determining that? Has it always been there? Does she go outside?

EDIT: Can you explain what you think the difference is between a lump and a kink?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunflowersandSunshine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't cause any pain, I don't think. I felt it and it just feels like her regular tail, just going in a weird direction before continuing on. Her tail doesn't droop, it goes all around like normal. I noticed it a month or so ago, but looking at pictures it almost looks like it just wasn't quite as noticeable when she was smaller (she is about 6 months old now). She doesn't go outside at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is not causing her any issues, including pain, it might be something to ask your vet about and see if you can get an x-ray done just to see if something shows up. A lot of vets will allow walk ins if a vet tech can take the x-ray. Maybe something happened to her before you adopted her that has healed but caused a permanent 'kink' in her tail. Just guessing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunflowersandSunshine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it is not causing her any issues, including pain, it might be something to ask your vet about and see if you can get an x-ray done just to see if something shows up. A lot of vets will allow walk ins if a vet tech can take the x-ray. Maybe something happened to her before you adopted her that has healed but caused a permanent 'kink' in her tail. Just guessing.

That's my thought; I asked the humane society and they don't have any medical record on her. I found her as a stray at about a month or 2 old (1.3 lbs) and dropped her off at HS for rabies quarantine, then adopted her. I have videos of her after the 12 days since I found her, and her tail is up and alert; in fact it would bend so far it would point over her back towards her head as she was growing up. I had to chase her through the grass for a long time when I first found her, and I grabbed her by the tail when I finally caught her. I didn't have much time with her as i dropped her off with HS the same night for her quarantine. I'm just scared I hurt her back then. 😞