My Cat Had A Spontaneous Abortion!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That kitten also looks premature. You’ll want to keep a close eye on it and weigh daily. You may need to supplement.

When did your cat mate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That kitten also looks premature. You’ll want to keep a close eye on it and weigh daily. You may need to supplement.

When did your cat mate?
She’s 7 or 8 weeks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be a good idea to keep track of when she's exposed to the tom so you can be sure of how far along she is.

Yeah, poor little guy doesn't look quite fully furred but a lot better than the others. Hopefully he'll make it, but he may need some help. Do you have a kitchen scale?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone have tips how I can help this little guy? I hope he’ll be fine

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing is, you have to weigh him, every day about the same time. If he nurses well and is gaining at least 6-10 grams a day, you don't have to interfere. But if he doesn't gain enough, or loses weight, you have to step in right away, there's no time to "wait and see" at that age.

Do you have KMR on hand?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No I don’t, I will get some.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a dropper or feeding syringe too. And a bottle, in case he needs it later, but it's hard to get a newborn to take a bottle; a dropper/syringe is easier.

Oh, and give the mama cat a small dish of KMR every day; it'll help with her milk supply.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ways 4 oz

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He ways 4 oz
If the weigh is correct, its a good weigh, in grammes something about 115g.
In the body he too looks decently well developed, more rounded than other prematures.
Its really just his hairness which shows he is premature.
May it be so he is a naturally naked cat?? Rare mutation but not unheard of.

Though I have heard earlier on 120g kittens whom were described as prematures. At least one of them died too.

So, till we are sure, you must treat him as premature. Have Yellow alert on, and dont slack in your watchfullness.

An IR-lamp is good for heating. This way he wont get chilled out if you must supplement him.

Let it be somewhat higher humididy in the room - many prematures has underdeveloped lungs.

If you can get raw goats milk, do so. This has sometimes an edge over pasteurized goats milk or KMR in powder.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stayed up all night with him keeping him warm. Mom rejected him and and wasn’t nursing. I tried my hair hardest but he didn’t make it. I’ll have mom checked out by a vet. I’m so sad:(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ouch, Im sorry to hear it. I did had the best hopes. Visibly premature being naked, so it was a fight uhill at best. But with this good weigh, he should have a chance...

RIP little one.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ouch, Im sorry to hear it. I did had the best hopes. Visibly premature being naked, so it was a fight uhill at best. But with this good weigh, he should have a chance...

RIP little one.
I feel bad for mom, she doesn’t understand and she is moving it around and crying.
I’m gonna bury it