My cat had 1 kitten 48 hours ago and still feels pregnant but has completely stopped labor.

Beccalamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat had 1 kitten on March 8th it’s now been 48 hrs but no more kittens and she still feel as though she has a few more in there. She’s acting completely normal eating, drinking, using the litter box, coming to me for loving, taking great care of the one kitten she has now. How do I know if she has more and if she does is this normal for her to completely stop labor?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can have a vet examine her or perform an x-ray to determine how many kittens she may still have inside, or you can just wait it out. If she has more, labor will restart when the kittens and her body are ready. This happens when a cat mates at earlier and later times during her heat cycle. If any remaining kittens were conceived say, 5 days later, they will be born later. It’s not unusual. Glad she’s doing well! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beccalamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can have a vet examine her or perform an x-ray to determine how many kittens she may still have inside, or you can just wait it out. If she has more, labor will restart when the kittens and her body are ready. This happens when a cat mates at earlier and later times during her heat cycle. If any remaining kittens were conceived say, 5 days later, they will be born later. It’s not unusual. Glad she’s doing well! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi my cat had 1 kitten on March 8th it’s now been 48 hrs but no more kittens and she still feel as though she has a few more in there. She’s acting completely normal eating, drinking, using the litter box, coming to me for loving, taking great care of the one kitten she has now. How do I know if she has more and if she does is this normal for her to completely stop labor?
How does the first kitten looks? Fullgrown, furry, healthy; or does he seems premature?

Anyways, it happens they are born at different days, so as long she is OK, no visible troubles, do watch as a hawk, but lets hope for the best.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As has been mentioned it could very well be that she mated more than once in a short period of time and it's just a case of that Kitten being further along, but if you are worried it wouldn't hurt to take her to a vet to be examined. If there's nothing wrong she'll get a clean bill of health and you'll have nothing to worry about, but if there is something wrong it's better to find out before it becomes a bigger problem.

Though if it goes for more than a few days then it becomes more likely something is wrong, take her back to the vet and insist on an ultrasound and don't let them talk you out of it. If they won't do it then find another vet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beccalamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How does the first kitten looks? Fullgrown, furry, healthy; or does he seems premature?

Anyways, it happens they are born at different days, so as long she is OK, no visible troubles, do watch as a hawk, but lets hope for the best.
fully grown and healthy very strong. I’ve been monitoring her very closely. I have a box with a sheet in my closet which is right beside my bed for her and the kitten. My male cat visits her a lot he’s the daddy which he was neutered on February 8th but it was already too late. She’s never been outside so they’re for sure his and it is possible he got ahold of her multiple times during her heat cycle. This is her first litter and wasn’t supposed to happen plan was for her to get spayed but she was already pregnant.