my cat got shot!

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your kitty. Hope you get the creep who did it.
Please everyone, don't let your beloved kittens and cats outside EVER. It is to dangerous out there for them. They can get shot, run over by cars, attacked and killed by dogs or other animals, pick up worms or some other worse diseases. They are so much better off being insided pets. I have a cat i have had 12 years, hopefully for 20l. I wouldn't let her out for anything.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More prayers for you & your beloved Casmo.

Lei

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I saw your words and as most people here on TCS know my story.
On Sept 26th last yr my neighbor shot and killed my most favorite cat in the world-Sheba.
If you or your family haven't yet, you will need to make a written statement to the police. In my case when I called the sheriff's dept after I found Sheba. I explained the situation and mentioned that he has lots of guns-do you know if this person has alot of guns?? THe sheriff's deputy that responded actually called for backup before going to my neighbor's house. He of course denied shooting her but as the sheriff's deputy knew that I had found her body behind my neighbor's garage he asked about looking for her body. At that point my neighbor did admit shooting her. This was a very crucila step. Has your neighbor done this in the past and perhaps people were afraid of retribution??? In my case I was protected by law against any retribution.
What are the laws pertaining to domestic animal cruelty??? In my case he was orginally charged with a felony but pleaded to a misdeamor cruelty charge. I got restitution, he got a fine and community service. I wish his punishment would have been more severe but there was LOTS of publicity on this case, his picture was in the paper alot. So if you want to press charges against him you must be prepared to take some heat from the press. I had also received calls from the TV stations for intereviews. Plus the court system does not move quickly as my case came to court in May. So if you need any help from me please PM me.
I hope you Casmo can successfully recover from her wounds-but still pursue prosecution of that person.
These sites may help you: www.pet-abuse.com and www.aldf.org (animal league defense fund). This last site has student chapters at most law schools what could provide assistance.
Keep me posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry for your loss Gail and joe.
the cops are asking around people about the guy and someone did see him with a gun. this has happened before with him but i dont think he ever actualy hit someones pet.
as far as casmo is doing:
she was verry alive and awake this morning as i posted b-fore already i now put her in my dogs old traveling crate because she managed to find a way out of her box. also i gave her, her pils this morning after the first one she started foaming, is this normal?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I had Tommie last year after he was done with this antibiotics (yes he was also shot) I started the worming pills. He foamed and gagged after that one. Kinda of freaked me out when he did it.
I'd call the vet. So Casmo is home-not at the vet???

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Casmo is home. at the vet they couldnt do much more than we can at home. the vet is also out of town on holiday now.
i have good news too, at last,
she can move her toes i just went to check on her she was cleaning herself and then i noticed her toes moving in and out on both back paws (just one toe a paw though) Its a start

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear Cosmo is home, and showing slow signs of possible healing....Give a big kiss and hug from me and my gang..

ames740

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's great news! I just found this thread and I think it's just terrible how some people can be so cruel to animals. How can anyone be so mean to such sweet, loving and cuddly creatures as cats?! I truely hope he gets what's coming to him!!
As for Cosmo, Patch and I are sending healing vibes her way and we hope she continues to improve. I will be keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How awful people can be! Your story is bringing tears to my eyes! My friend's dog got shot once, she found him in her backyard dead, they never found out who it was. It was a little dog too, poor thing...

Please keep us updated! Sending you good vibes...

harold & claude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This could be a product of far to much CSI ;-) but if any of those bullets, especially the ones closest to the surface, emerge, save it. The police can match it to the gun. Even with birdshot, they don't have the shell, but manufacturers all do different things with their bullets, anything can be traced. I don't know if they go through all that for a pet (BUT THEY SHOULD!!!) Plus, there are many facets of the law that can help. If they can't get him on cruelty charges because they can't prove it, they could always get wreckless endangerment. I shoot trap, so I know the laws about guns in residential areas are VERY strict. If he's been seen shooting his gun off in a residential neighborhood with live rounds, it's against the law (at least here, I don't know what you're gun control laws are in Canada/your province, but I'd find out, you deserve any kind of justice you can get!)

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sad AND mad about what happened to Casmo. We lost a precious kitten several months ago, he disappeared but I suspect he was poisoned. We do not let our new cats out. I am amazed at how cruel people can be.

So glad to hear Casmo is moving her toes! She sounds like she is going to make it.

The police should make sure the creep pays for your expenses.

Love and good wishes for Casmo's recovery.

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
both me and casmo thank you for all your suport your thought and prayers are helping us through this

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's moving her toes! Awesome! That is truely a good sign! I'm praying for you!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad there is some good news. ANd I agree about saving all hte evidence you can. Things like this make me thankful I have always lived in a no-gun country (apart from here during hte war).

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear she can move her toes!
GO CASMO GO!!
Lots more healing vibes heading your way sweetheart.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wishing you and Casmo all the best. We -- Graycie, Go Go, Princess and Katie are all sending our best purr and human prayers.