My cat got diarrhea

sondos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always feed my 8~9 months old cat home made food. Recently my parents not knowing this could harm him, they fed him dry food. I know changing food types for cats has to be done gradually else their digestive system gets shocked and could cause diarrhea. However he was not fed dry food only but homemade food also. they gave him dry food as snacks or something. He got ill today which is two to three days after this change in his diet. The question is should I take him to the vet or would he would be okay on his own. I can't take him to the vet for a couple of days can this wait ?? If it's not serious we will visit the vet the day after tomorrow because no one else but me can take him. And is there anything I can do to make him feel better? Also I read i shouldn't give him food for the next 24 hours? His poop is kind of between yellow greenish loose form. 

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did your parent give him and what do you normally feed him, I worry because some home made foods don't have the nutrients that cats need. If your cat is hungry let him eat I don't think withholding food because he has diarrhea is required. The colour is a little worrying, so to be on the safe side I would take him to see a vet. Is it possible he eat something else, i.e. something toxic to cats  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Normally cats can get diarrhea from switching up dry foods, so that process needs to be done slowly.  Switching wet foods typically doesn't need to be done slowly.  Since he possibly never had dry food, this could have caused the diarrhea, especially if it was a "cheap" brand.  If heh will eat a little live cultured yogurt (without any artificial sweeteners), that would be great.  It will help his gut flora.  Or you can give him some probiotics.  Just as a rule, I give all my cats probiotics every single day, just to keep their gut flora happy

Here's a thread on yellowish green poop which you may find interesting:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241209/cat-stool-colors-meaning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sondos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens we didn't really switch foods we kind of added dry food too to his diet. And the poop color is actually just lighter and a bit different than normal on greener side if I saw well I can't tell for sure I can't really stand it. The dry food is if good quality it's one of the best in the market. And is really okay to feed him yogurt while sick? I know yogurt is the safest of diaries for cats but is really okay if he's sick?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@mrsgreenjeens we didn't really switch foods we kind of added dry food too to his diet. And the poop color is actually just lighter and a bit different than normal on greener side if I saw well I can't tell for sure I can't really stand it. The dry food is if good quality it's one of the best in the market. And is really okay to feed him yogurt while sick? I know yogurt is the safest of diaries for cats but is really okay if he's sick?
Yes, yogurt is fine, as long as it doesn't have artificial sweeteners.  It can even have fruit in it,although plain is best, IMHO.  I used to feed it to mine when they got sick, but now they don't seem to have any problems since they are on probiotics. 

I never fed too much, maybe just a teaspoon or so and that usually fixed them right up.  If your guy is still having diarrhea, you might want to contact your Vet, as something else might be going on.  I'm, of course, assuming you stopped the new food?  Since the dry food wasn't fully replacing his old food, just being added, and dry food is DRYING, this shouldn't really cause diarrhea, unless he's having an adverse effect to an ingredient in that food, or has something else wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sondos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens yeah I'll make sure to take him to the vet tomorrow if he doesn't get better. Thank you. :)