My cat gave birth right before a trip - what should I do?!

jr3!d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my name is Jordan
I have had my Lucifur for 2 months now. We got her at the beginning of her pregnancy, unknowingly, but so excited to help her become a momma!
The military is moving my husband and I from AZ to FL, I can’t postpone it at all :/ we had a plan to keep her safe and comfortable on the trip. Her due date was shortly after we arrived BUT turns out she gave birth 2 days before we leave (aka just now as I’m writing this) for a 3 day road trip (with stops of course for sleep)
Does anyone have any advice on how I can make this travel the most comfortable experience possible.
note: we also have 2 OTHER cats, both adults (1 male and 1 female)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her a carrier big enough to stretch out in for nursing, and big enough for a small litter box, food, and water — a dog sized carrier should work. Locate her in your vehicle in a secure space so the crate does not rock, and ideally where you can comfort her if she needs to hear or see you.

It’s not ideal and won’t be fun, but it’s probably the best you can hope for. Cats are resilient, but have extra towels or doggie pee pads handy to re-line the crates if there are accidents.

I hope all goes well during your move!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dog kennel is an excellent idea! I would keep most of the cage covered so mama cat feels like she has lots of privacy. Please keep us updated on the big move. And thank you for being a military wife - I know that they are true treasures for our nation (I used to attend an annual Iwo Jima survivor's gathering and loved getting the wives' stories).

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, my name is Jordan
I have had my Lucifur for 2 months now. We got her at the beginning of her pregnancy, unknowingly, but so excited to help her become a momma!
The military is moving my husband and I from AZ to FL, I can’t postpone it at all :/ we had a plan to keep her safe and comfortable on the trip. Her due date was shortly after we arrived BUT turns out she gave birth 2 days before we leave (aka just now as I’m writing this) for a 3 day road trip (with stops of course for sleep)
Does anyone have any advice on how I can make this travel the most comfortable experience possible.
note: we also have 2 OTHER cats, both adults (1 male and 1 female)
I found a few more options on a carrier for momma and the kittens I don't know if you would have the whole back seat of a car available but one of them is a "pet limousine"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092MY27ZY/?tag=thecatsite

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9ZMWHH7/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5PZUMG/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSWLY3J/?tag=thecatsite

I hope the move goes smooth. Stay safe in your travels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jr3!d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten travel update!
We made it, happy and healthy!
Lucifur (mama) was previously an outdoor cat so the car ride was comfortable for her! My indoor cats didn’t like it too much the first day but settled down a couple hours in. Luci had her door partially open so she could escape the kittens and cuddle with her human mama for a bit, use the restroom, snack and go right back to the babies!
Thank you all for the helpful advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so happy to hear that the trip was a success! I hope everyone settles easily and happily.

I also hope you can adjust to the awful heat and humidity here in Florida. I’ve been here for more than 3 decades (following college up north) and this summer is by far the worst ever.

All the best to you, your family, and your kitties!