My Cat from Hell? :))

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw, how does everyone feel about spraying her with water when she starts biting or clawing?
I hate the idea of using water because I'm afraid of it getting in their ears, so I use canned air for cleaning computer keyboards -- it sounds like hissing -- and a firm "NO" when they do certain things (getting on the kitchen counters, trying to get outside, etc.).  Pointing at them and using a firm "NO" helps when they are close, as does blowing in their face.  I also put Casper in a "time out" (remove him or myself for a few minutes/ignore him) when he plays too rough and/or uses claws/teeth.  So far Casper is the only one of our kittens we have had to clip claws on, which definitely helps with minimize damage.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also blow on her face. They hate that but it doesn't harm them, and  they don' t know it's coming from you so they won't resent you for it. It will startle her out of a clawing or biting episode though!

Btw, how does everyone feel about spraying her with water when she starts biting or clawing?
I hate the idea of using water because I'm afraid of it getting in their ears, so I use canned air for cleaning computer keyboards -- it sounds like hissing -- and a firm "NO" when they do certain things (getting on the kitchen counters, trying to get outside, etc.).  Pointing at them and using a firm "NO" helps when they are close, as does blowing in their face.  I also put Casper in a "time out" (remove him or myself for a few minutes/ignore him) when he plays too rough and/or uses claws/teeth.  So far Casper is the only one of our kittens we have had to clip claws on, which definitely helps with minimize damage.

I don't like using the air can either, just because it's dangerous and can hurt them if too close. If you're going to use it, please do not point it at them.

I prefer the short, sharp puff of air directly in the face.

The bottom line is that mom and siblings would be teaching her how to behave; in the absence of them, we have to do it. Humans don't hiss in a way that means anything to kitties (for the most part). :lol3: But that short, sharp puff of air directly in the face they understand immediately.

My kitties definitely know I'm doing it, and it doesn't make them afraid of me or anything. Combined with a firm "no," they learn the meaning of the word "no." But as Lynnette says, it startles them out of whatever they're doing. :nod:

When combined with redirection after that (especially to a wand toy or something), and then PRAISE for using the toy, they learn quickly what is OK and what is not OK.

Think of them as toddlers. Then need to know boundaries. They need to know what appropriate behavior is just as much as they need to know what is inappropriate. :) So using praise when they're playing "right" will help as much - if not more - than only corrective/redirective cues. :rub:

Last edited:

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Casper is the only one I've had to use it with. 

I use the canned air only for actions that are potentially dangerous, like getting on the kitchen counter or trying to get outside; and I am at least 3-4 feet away from Casper when I use it.  I tried redirection when I was leaving for work (throwing one of his toy mice in the opposite direction), but that worked only a couple of times before he figured out what I was doing.  I tried redirection when he got on the kitchen counters, but that didn't work, and it's a pain to do when I'm trying to cook.  I realized I had to do something 'more' than redirection when 1) he walked on the stove (thankfully, it wasn't hot) and 2) he made it out the door once when I was leaving for work. 

I start by saying, "Casper, NO," in a firm voice.  If he stays on the counter or keeps coming towards the door, then I use the air can.  I say, "Casper, NO," in a firm voice again while giving a short blast of air.  After a month of this, it's getting to the point that saying, "Casper, NO," in a firm voice and holding the can without using it is usually enough; and I hope that soon I won't even have to do that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Some people have never frozen the skin on the back of their hand with an air can and don't realize how dangerous they can be. I'm glad you use it responsibly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, the puff of air is marvelous! It startles her every single time, it's completely harmless and she doesn't seem to fear/hate me for it. Seriously, it was just the thing I needed - and would have never thought of it myself. I will start introducing the "Jokasta, NO!" command and also praise when she's playing with the right toys.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, your advice was spot on. I feel much more confident that I can handle the kitten crazies from now on. 

Oh, I almost forgot. I bought her a wand mouse-thing. She is *mental* about it. And sleeps for hours after one of our play sessions. Win-win!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:D SO happy to hear this! :clap:

More toys for your consideration:

Neko Flies. My cats LOVE the Karantula end (wiggle and dart it about on the floor) and the Kragonfly.
And cats seem to find da Bird almost irresistable! Mine love the little mouse end (perfect paw size!), the feathers, and the rabbit tail: (If you get this, you might want to consider getting a "value pack" with extra feathers. :lol3: ).

Another very popular interactive toy: The Cat Dancer's "Cat Charmer" toy:
And the original Cat Dancer: The original cat dancers come with or without that "sticky" paw. If you have someplace (a wall, a door) to stick that paw, because the dancer is on a wire, it's safe to slip it into that sticky paw and leave out for her to play with on her own.

The wand toys ALWAYS need to be put away somewhere she cannot access them (and not on top of something, "put away" means behind a closed closet door she cannot open), because the last thing you need is to discover a foot or two of string having been eaten, and rushing to the vet for emergency surgery.... (or examining poop for three days to make sure it safely comes out the other end. :rolleyes: ).

OH! Something else you'll need as she grows - SCRATCHERS. Having appropriate places to scratch will help both of you be happier. :lol3: It's best to provide a variety - sisal post (vertical), cardboard ones that lie on the floor (horizontal), etc. Another toy (happens to also have a scratcher) that kitties seem to universally love is the Turbo Track. comes in several styles:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYSAIW/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TGM91Y/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

That cardboard scratcher in the center has a refill. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wand toys ALWAYS need to be put away somewhere she cannot access them (and not on top of something, "put away" means behind a closed closet door she cannot open), because the last thing you need is to discover a foot or two of string having been eaten, and rushing to the vet for emergency surgery.... (or examining poop for three days to make sure it safely comes out the other end.
).

Thank you for all your good advice and ideas, LDG. I think all the toys you suggested would work for her. The wand thing has been such a success that when I pause playing with her, she will bring the mouse to me herself and meow.

I'll probably get her a fly next, and I've tied some stuff to the door knob, too.