My Cat foam at mouth then died

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make a lot of "friends" by saying this... And yeah, this is an old thread and it doesn't matter anymore, but here's my two cents on it:
 I planned to wake up first thing in the morning and get her to a vet if she wasn't any better.
I read a lot of this stuff on this site: "take her to the vet tomorrow", "her appointment is next Friday", "if she doesn't get better in the week-end, I'll take her to the vet on Monday"...

How about take her to the vet NOW??

...That's all I have to say.  

Last edited:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make a lot of "friends" by saying this... And yeah, this is an old thread and it doesn't matter anymore, but here's my two cents on it:

I read a lot of this stuff on this site: "take her to the vet tomorrow", "her appointment is next Friday", "if she doesn't get better in the week-end, I'll take her to the vet on Monday"...

How about take her to the vet NOW??

...That's all I have to say.  
Because vets in most places CAN be relatively expensive, for example most of the vets in my area charge you ATLEAST 80-100$ JUST to walk in the door! added to that another 100-400$ depending on what you want/need done.

some emergencies may happen late at night, and some may not seem serious enough to need immediate attention, for example, if you think your cat has a cold, you certainly don't think things are going to go from kinda bad to horrible in the course of a couple hours. Which ofcourse they can, in the case of Distemper, is usually a pretty sneaky desease, by the time the cat (or any animal ) is drolling, and shaking, and typically siezing, it's too late anyway.

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
for example, if you think your cat has a cold, you certainly don't think things are going to go from kinda bad to horrible in the course of a couple hours.
cold <------------------------------------------- 5 km -----------------------------------> frothing at the mouth

I understand the money problem all too well, but sometimes, in severe cases especially, IMO one should make an effort and get there in time. :)

Last edited:

nycatwhisperer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I have seen a lot of posts that indicate poisoning, that would be my guess at first too, but it does not necessarily mean it was.  I am frustrated to continue seeing posts about roach motels that are only boric acid. BORIC ACID IS NOT POISONOUS OR LETHAL TO CATS OR HUMANS.  (In fact I have used it as an eye wash for cats with distemper & for my son when he had conjunctivitis as well as use it as laundry booster regularly)   One household item that none of you considered is Lemons, or Lemon Oil.   LEMON OIL IS LETHAL TO CATS & DOGS. ( It also works amazing at killing fleas.)   Spider plants and poinsettias can make a cat nauseated.  So can lavender.  And yes, some flea treatments (those for dogs) can be very dangerous for cats (but NOT usually lethal.)   A VERY BAD hairball (if the cat is a long hair)  can also cause nausea, and nausea would make the cat not want to eat, and hence become lethargic. When a cat doesn't use its liter box, its trying to tell you something.... ie, it doesn't fell well.   But that doesn't  immediately mean its Distemper.   I am uncertain why your vet did not determine what was wrong with the kitty, but if you paid for them to look at your pet, he or she SHOULD HAVE, especially if it could have been distemper because that threatens every other cat that comes into their clinic!   The feline herpes is another very likely suspect, but with your cat not being outside or contact with other cats, .... seems unlikely, like the distemper, unless you or a family member was in contact with another cat outside the home & brought it in.   

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
NYCatWhisperer, this is a very old thread and it is unlikely anyone involved will see your replies. The original poster has not been on the board in over 6 years.

If you would like to introduce yourself and your cat/s over here, http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block  we'd love to hear from you.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As the original poster's cat passed away and this is such an old thread, it will be locked now.

Status
Not open for further replies.