My cat fesrs me now after vet visits

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to take my cat to the vet four times in eight days and she won't come near me now. We always cuddled every night on the couch with her on my lap first, then next to me for a long pet, sometimes hours. I'm heartbroken that she's no longer doing this. I just tried treats, and she did jump up on the couch while eating them, even from my lap, but then after she ran away again. Any suggestions on how to get our loving habits back?

bella 2710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me guess, they violated her (put thermometer in a place nothing should enter)?
Bella was the same for about 2 days after her last check up, she was really annoyed with me, didnt stop her cuddling up in bed taking up all the room on my pillows though.
I'd just keep picking her up to cuddle and swish her, she'll soon realise your not giving up and let you get on with it lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just takes time...... I've accidentally stepped on my ferals and they are shy of me for a few days, but with patience, soft words, and lots of treats they come around. I just had two neutered and EXPECTED them to hate me, but they came right up to me after a day or so. Just keep trying, but not TOO hard, don't use swift movements or approach her in a way to corner her so she panics. This was a very scary experience for her and right now she is very afraid it is going to happen again. Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me guess, they violated her (put thermometer in a place nothing should enter)?
Oh, the poor thing even had to have an enema. She was given too many injections Oct. 23 and she's been a zombie ever since. There's actually a thread on this site about Convenia, an antibiotic, that she's most likely reacting to. Never give that to your animal as if they have a bad reaction, you can't stop it. I just have to pray she recovers. But on top of that, she's stopped cuddling with me, which she had still been doing, even after the shots. I believe all the vet visits made her pull away. Thank you for responding Bella!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just takes time.....This was a very scary experience for her and right now she is very afraid it is going to happen again. Good Luck!
This whole week has been hell for her, and me! (See my reply above to Bella.) Thank you for the encouraging words. I so much want my kitty back, in every way.

bella 2710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your welcome and seriously maryann, keep picking her up whether she like it or not, keep cuddling her.
You could groom her, that always makes Bella a happy little girl, so does hand feeding her!
Maybe it might just be Bella that enjoys being hand fed though, I've always treated her more baby then kitty so she is spoilt rotten!!!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there.  You'll get your kitty back eventually.  Some of her actions could be due to the antibiotic.