My cat escaped temporarily from my apartment this evening and I am a nervous wreck

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did wash this evening and left the laundry room just as it closed (10pm). When I got back to my apartment, Pumpkin decided to sneak out on me. He never did this before and I had to drop everything and chase after him down the hall in my wheelchair, telling him repeatedly to "please stop."

There's a rule in this building that we're not supposed to create too much noise after 10pm because it's referred to something like "quiet time." This building has mostly senior and disabled tenants (I'm both, being 60 years of age) and I do my best to keep quiet at all times, not just at night but when Pumpkin did this to me I went into full-blown panic mode. When I'm upset, my voice carries far and wide. I don't mean for it to be like that.

Anyway, I was able to get Pumpkin and brought him back home and told him as nicely as possible that he can't do this to me again. He SCARED me. Pumpkin used to be a runner when I adopted him over 10 years ago but I thought he outgrew that. This is a relatively new place for us. We've been here nearly one year and if Pumpkin were to make it outside, I would probably never see him again. This small city can be rough. He never ran that far in our old apartment we moved from last year.

I'm worried that I will get in trouble w/management about this and am hoping I won't get slapped with a lease violation. He never did this to me before and in the future, I will have to close him up in the bedroom with his food, water and litter box when I do lauindry.

When this happened and i returned home w/Pumpkin I couldn't stop crying. He really had me shaken up.

It's been a very rough week. I'm worried about his health (see my thread about his possible heart issues in the health forum) and I'm worried about mine. I may have heart issues too. As if that weren't enough, I found out several days ago that my aunt, Mom's sister, passed away last year. I found her obituary online while I was speaking with another relative about her. My aunt and I stopped talking quite a few years ago but patched things up, then not long after that she ghosted me. I wanted to call her but wasn't sure she'd welcome this contact.

So, I tried to find my aunt on Twitter but she wasn't there. I didn't check Facebook because I no longer have an account there. Then I tried to Google her name and up popped her obituary! I have a number of jerks in my family who could have told me about her passing but for some reason chose not to.

I'm saying all of this to explain why I feel on edge. I've got health issues, my cat has health issues, I have to sort out what happened with my aunt and from what I researched thus far, I'm not happy with how her affairs were handled prior to her passing. I'm worried that my stress is having a negative impact on Pumpkin but I never dreamed that he'd just bolt out of our door, knowing darn well that I do NOT like it when he tries to escape.

How can I get him to STOP?
How can I calm down? I feel like screaming.
I just pray to God that I won't get in trouble w/management here for what happened. I need Pumpkin. I love him to pieces. He is not only a rescue kitty but a certified emotional support animal.

I need some words of encouragement. Thank you.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Please calm yourself. Take it one at a time. Like you, I am also a worrier. I panic a lot. And I have been suffering from on/off depression since grade school. There are days that are better than others. And there are worst days too.

Please, take a deep breath and try to be calm.

First, you can try to slip in notes to your neighbors and apologize in case they heard your "commotion" that night. You can tell them honestly that you were panicking because your much loved cat has escaped and it was the first time you had to chase for Pumpkin. For all you know, your neighbors might not have heard you at all.But just the same, you can write them heartfelt notes that it will not happen again.

As for your aunt, it was good that you had patched things up with her before she passed away. You both already had your closure for whatever drifted you apart before. I understand that your family members could have told you, but maybe they also had their own reasons. You can just visit her when you can, or simply offer a prayer. Try not to beat yourself up too much on this. Try to think of it this way: Your aunt is now an addition to your angels and is watching you with love and calmness.

If you need someone to talk to, we are here. You can drop a message or two and I am sure anyone can come back to you with words of support, or just be there to listen. We are in this together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please calm yourself. Take it one at a time. Like you, I am also a worrier. I panic a lot. And I have been suffering from on/off depression since grade school. There are days that are better than others. And there are worst days too.

Please, take a deep breath and try to be calm.

First, you can try to slip in notes to your neighbors and apologize in case they heard your "commotion" that night. You can tell them honestly that you were panicking because your much loved cat has escaped and it was the first time you had to chase for Pumpkin. For all you know, your neighbors might not have heard you at all.But just the same, you can write them heartfelt notes that it will not happen again.

As for your aunt, it was good that you had patched things up with her before she passed away. You both already had your closure for whatever drifted you apart before. I understand that your family members could have told you, but maybe they also had their own reasons. You can just visit her when you can, or simply offer a prayer. Try not to beat yourself up too much on this. Try to think of it this way: Your aunt is now an addition to your angels and is watching you with love and calmness.

If you need someone to talk to, we are here. You can drop a message or two and I am sure anyone can come back to you with words of support, or just be there to listen. We are in this together.
I feel better but still a bit shaken. I just had another good cry. It would be nice if I could just turn off my stress for Pumpkin's sake but it's so hard because so many things are going wrong at once.

My aunt and I did patch things up but this was only temporary. I didn't hear from her since she last sent me a card (can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas card) a few years ago. I thought she was angry with me again and never called her because I thought she didn't want to hear from me.

I hope Pumpkin knows I love him even though I told him once again he can't keep doing this.

Thank you for listening! <hugs>

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It is going to be be alright. I believe cats also sense our love to them, but some cats are just too curious and likes to wander outside. I have one of my own that I can't trust. Bourbon just escapes when there is a chance. I cannot count the number of times that I or my husband chased after her. One time I ran outside after her, with no shoes and still in my pajamas. When I think about it now, I laugh.

The love between you and your aunt is way more greater than whatever issues you have had. I also have my own nephews and niece and love them like my own children. There are times when I feel they have been neglecting me, but I know they also have their own lives especially the 2 now adult ones. Still, I love them with all my heart. I am most likely sure your aunt felt the same way.

Hang in there.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you. Just when you think you can trust your cat about some things, they can use your lowered guard to their advantage. It’s good to cry: get it out of your system. At least now you know: be careful about doors. I don’t know much about being in a wheelchair, so, I don’t know how quickly you can get through a door w/out your cat slipping through. Maybe you need a building friend who can be your guardian. Surely you aren’t the only cat lover there? Take a deep breath, your cat is safe: I think whatever rules you might have broken have passed without comment and perhaps, understanding. I wonder too if there exists in this day and age, some kind of collar with a device which would prevent your cat from exiting, or, a double door you could install. Could you put your cat in a separate room when you have to exit or enter? That might be the best bet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've got so much going on. ❣
Emergencies happen, usually kind people understand this. You aren't yelling in the hallway every day.

Is Pumpkin food focused? You can do some treat tossing when leaving and entering.

Keeping him in another room is a good idea too. Whichever comforts you best is the good choice.

He will be just fine in your room while you do laundry. You could even give him a special treat for that time like a tube treat on a lick-mat. You can make it a special experience.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have all my sympathy! Daisy is a door dasher too. It’s hellish stressful when they do a runner, plus you being in a wheelchair - it’s bad enough just not being able to sprint after them. Locking Pumpkin in your bedroom sounds a very good plan. I do the same when I am taking my mother (who’s on a walker and moves very slowly) to her unit at night, just shut Daisy and Phoebe in my room for the fifteen minutes or so it takes. They’ve got used to it.