My cat eats bugs - ewww!

sassylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Skitter also eats kills and eat bugs. Spiders and house flies are the natural ones that end up inside for the most part. She also enjoys killing earwigs and eating them
but at least the don't make it very far

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Some insects, like fireflies, are moderately toxic and will make your cat foam at the mouth and nauseous.
Good to know! When I lived in Briarwood, there were quite a few fireflies at night. I thought they were pretty seeing some for the first time in my life. The cats were curious about them, especially at first --but thankfully the fireflies never flew low enough for the cats to make a predatory jump. Actually, some did buzz rather low, but maybe the cats instinctively knew they were toxic because of the glow.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Good to know! When I lived in Briarwood, there were quite a few fireflies at night. I thought they were pretty seeing some for the first time in my life. The cats were curious about them, especially at first --but thankfully the fireflies never flew low enough for the cats to make a predatory jump. Actually, some did buzz rather low, but maybe the cats instinctively knew they were toxic because of the glow.
I don't think a cat would instinctively know that. They'd know to leave other nasty insects and arachnids alone if they could instinctively know that.
More likely, and I'm not sure if North American fireflies do or not, there is some defensive smell to them that is off putting. You don't want to eat something that smells bad. Many insects use this method to keep from being eaten, sometimes it works for them.
And fireflies are not that good of fliers. They will sometimes fall or even land on the ground and will land on tall grass. So cats can get to them if circumstances are right.