My Cat Drawings

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOWSA!!!!! You are very talented. I have been wanting one done of my dog Wilbur, a Jack Russell Terrier, the dog love of my life
. Would love to have some of my cats too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone! I've been away for the weekend, camping.

@Minka i'm going to take that as a compliment
They are actually drawings, it's the scanner I used for it--it's awesome! It showed pretty much every detail.

@Tara & Rob My my, you have a BEAUTIFUL cat
She looks quite cozy too

@Feralvr I would love to see some pics of your cats and dog too
Jack Russell's are actually one of my favourite small breeds of dogs. What breeds are your cats, if you don't mind me asking?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have half way done scans of those?

They look like B&W pictures.

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Konstargirl

And no Ducman, I only scan my pictures when they're done, otherwise I have to take a picture of them and I prefer using a scanner, which I don't have at home

cat condos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's awesome! They look just like a photo! Best of luck with your dream. I say go for it if that's what you love doing. Would love to see more. Keep them coming!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just caution folks about ordering merchandise from unknown persons on the internet. I'm not saying this person is a scammer but one of our members did order a product very much like this one a while back and never received the product nor did they get their money back.

Just be aware and know who you are giving money to.

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Cat Condos
I am going into art school, just signed up for me courses for Fall 2011 - so excited!!

And Yosemite that's terrible that someone would do that! I actually enjoy drawing animals. Art and animals are my thing

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MJohnson77

Sorry everyone! I've been away for the weekend, camping.

@Minka i'm going to take that as a compliment
They are actually drawings, it's the scanner I used for it--it's awesome! It showed pretty much every detail.

@Tara & Rob My my, you have a BEAUTIFUL cat
She looks quite cozy too

@Feralvr I would love to see some pics of your cats and dog too
Jack Russell's are actually one of my favourite small breeds of dogs. What breeds are your cats, if you don't mind me asking?
My dog, Wilbur, is my once-in-a-lifetime dog
And I have wanted to get a drawing of him done. Or a HUGE tattoo of him on my back
. I love him so deeply. I will try to post a picture of him so you can see. He is almost thirteen, but still looks like an adorable puppy. His health is failing him, and it makes me so very sad. Just very sad

My cats are all rescues/strays DSH. Pipsqueak would love a drawing too
. He is a siamese mix, with the crossed/wiggling eyes

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are beautiful. How did you create the shadow image? Those are charcoal and graphite on top of image?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Do you have half way done scans of those?

They look like B&W pictures.
Yea, I do photography and used to practically live on deviantart.com, so I've seen a LOT of drawings that are very lifelike, but these just look like B&W photos.
Originally Posted by MJohnson77

Thanks Konstargirl

And no Ducman, I only scan my pictures when they're done, otherwise I have to take a picture of them and I prefer using a scanner, which I don't have at home
Can you start one and scan it before you finish?

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

My dog, Wilbur, is my once-in-a-lifetime dog
And I have wanted to get a drawing of him done. Or a HUGE tattoo of him on my back
. I love him so deeply. I will try to post a picture of him so you can see. He is almost thirteen, but still looks like an adorable puppy. His health is failing him, and it makes me so very sad. Just very sad

My cats are all rescues/strays DSH. Pipsqueak would love a drawing too
. He is a siamese mix, with the crossed/wiggling eyes
A tattoo would be awesome! You would just have to be very cautious of where you go, you want it to look the best
I'm sorry about his health, but thankfully he has lived a nice long life. And I love Siamese cats! Their blue eyes are adorable
Hows their temperament? I actually do plan on getting a Siamese when the time is right

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Cheylink, the black cat wasn't that difficult to do, I just kept layering and smudging the charcoal accordingly. The hardest part was the whiskers! But I just used a kneaded eraser
The eyes were the second hardest, I had to use tortillons to blend in the eyes.

@BMW Kitty Cat Thank you!

@Minka as previously stated, I do not have a scanner at home. I do however have a camera so i've taken a picture of a commission for a man (which is obviously not done yet) that I've started. Sorry for the quality!

The picture I got wasn't the highest quality, you couldn't see which direction the hair went, but I think I did it pretty well.

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!
These are amazing and very lifelike! Give me some tips! :p
Thank you
The best tip I can give you is to actually try to draw fur! I read up on it for hours, but really the best thing you can do is to try it yourself.

Also, I do the darker areas first and then move onto the lighter ones. I use a kneaded eraser and that really helps! I only use your typical pencil and mechanical pencil, nothing fancy. Once I make the fur, I smudge it only a little bit so that it doesn't look too sharp

Other than that, take your time. The dog I just posted probably took 4-5 hours to do (not sure, I was on the computer/watching tv during) and I tried to look at the direction of the fur, that helps it look more realistic

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are absolutelyfabulous! I'd give my right arm to be able to sketch like that; of course, then I couldn't sketch at all because I'm right handed

Seriously, you have a wonderful gift!

mjohnson77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha! That wouldn't work out...maybe give your left arm? :p
I believe that everyone can draw, it just takes practice and self confidence!